Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of snorkeling my bike. Honestly, I think it looks like an octopus! And, I am not happy with my exhaust snorkel b/c of how it angles forward, AND, it is very hard to weld galvenized pipe! I pulled the carb off today to put a bigger jet in it since I put the tractor muffler back on. This is what I found...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/brandontuckere...804151555892/16

I don't think my diaphram had a good seal around the top cover. There was mud and trash in the carb. I cleaned it all really well and stuck the diaphram in the freezer. I hope to get a good seal next time. If not, I will use some of the blue rtv that can be seen in the other pics in the album.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Link is bad b/c of permission settings. I am fixing it as we speak.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Looks like you have quite a project there Tuck.

I looked at your pictures and it seems that you're sealing the lid of your air box with blue RTV. Just curious but, how will you be able to access your air filter with the air box lid glued on? Also, I know you're a young guy and cash is hard to come by but, pieces of large diameter PVC and ABS plastic pipe can be found around construction sites and often the foreman at the site will give it away. That stuff would make a great air box for your air filter and a threaded cap on one end would allow access for cleaning the air filter. A good plumbing store would be a place to go to look at available fittings to fasten your snorkels to the air box (cylinder). I'm certain your system will work just fine. If you plan on changing it in the future, look into the big pipe possibilities.

By the way, It's good to see young people rolling up their sleeves and getting at it. You're well on your way to being self sufficient. Good for you and good luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted on here and highlifter a few days ago about using a large diameter piece of pipe. I don't think anyone on here replied. On highlifter I was told to just stick with the stock air box b/c ppl seem to have problems with the pipe b/c of the pipe not being able to contain enough air for the engine to run properly at WOT.

I made a test bead the other day and the rtv worked well and peeled off pretty easily. I will check the air filter every 100 miles or so. I don't ride that much so it will take a while for me to get 100 miles.

Yeah you are 100% correct about cash being hard to come by. The 10 ft piece of hose was 32 at lowes. It was 3.07 a foot. My draw dropped on that.... Only bad thing is that I need about 4 more foot so I can snorkel my crankcase vent. :(

Thanks for you comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
That is one nasty mess you have there tuck :Bangin:

In one of the pictures of the diaphram looks slightly kinked or pinched on the top ring, maybe just the picture? Have you had the carb apart before and possibly never got the diaphram seated in the carb groove good?
Get everything good and squeaky clean and take your time when putting tings back together to make sure it is in place correctly and it should work and keep a seal.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I used PVC to snorkel my V2. If you are going for a hidden snorkel, you can use a radiator hose and be creative. Someone (Mark I do believe) used some hose from a pool and spa store.

As for the carb, I don't know if you've ever used it but I put some sea foam in every tank of gas I put in my quad. I've never had to clean the carb, never had clogged jets, and never had anything stick in them. I also installed a $5 fuel filter from Northern Tool (any small fuel filter will work really).

Good thing you caught that though. Nice work man!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GoFastCat: I have had the carb apart many times before. You are right about the diaphram not seating properly. It wasn't in the groove all the way and that is what let me mud and water in. The diaphram has been in the freezer overnight and I am about to go see how much it shrank. I hope I haven't stretched it or anything to where it is unusable.

Sanny651: I am using pool hose I bought at Lowes. I am not going for anything hidden. I plan to run all 4 hoses to the front rack and then put a pvc turndown on the hose. You have referred me to sea foam before. I use it every other tank of gas. It is a good product that does a nice job keeping the inside of the carb clean. However, I don't think it could have helped with my problem!!! lol :)
I also had a fuel filter on it. I had it under the gas tank beside the carb. It vaporlocked on me on almost every ride. I just took the filter back off.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Make sure an snorkel the vent lines on that carb an also the drain line on the card it will suck water threw there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What size hose do I need for the carb drain on the bottom and the top of the carb? Also, what size hose is for the radiator overflow? I would like to extend them.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I don't know what size they are, but I'd suggest lopping off 1/2" in length and bringing it to an auto store to size up just to make sure they jive.

I installed a fuel filter, but yeah, you need to get away from the engine. My H1's filter is a bit closer than I'd like, so I may move it for that exact reason. we'll see. Great call.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I dont know the size but you can eye ball it an get close thats what I did or even cut the end off an bring it with you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok Thanks. I will do that and try to get this project finished asap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts