Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok last night I brought home my BIL Kawasaki Mojave 250 to have my atv mechanic neighbor do some work on it. This atv has set for awhile on and off, it will crank up and run but bogs down easily (carb related probably gummed up). Now my BIL has had this four wheeler I know over 5 years and he has never changed the oil in it. It may set 6 months before he ever gets on it to ride around their property.

BIL told me to tell my neighbor mechanic while it was there being worked on to go ahead and change the oil also while he was checking things out. I told my neighbor mechanic this and he said if he did change the oil since it's been in there so long it could possibly cause problems since my BIL didn't do better scheduled oil change intervals. Now I've heard before over the years of people buying say a new vehicle and never changing the transmission fluid and then say at 100K or 150K decide to change the trans fluid and right after that start having transmission slippage problems or transmission would go completely out.

I had a friend that had bought a 94 Chevy truck new and he didn't change the trans fluid in it until around the 125K mileage, that was around 6 or 7 years ago and his transmission is still doing fine, maybe he got lucky,who knows.

What do you guy's think about changing the oil in the BIL four wheeler if it has not been changed 5 or 6 years or when ever ? Mechanic neighbor said he'd do what ever my BIL wants to do, change it or not.

Tony

·
Administrator
37,120 Posts
Change it !

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree change it, my gut feeling kept saying that also.

Tony

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
there are MANY folks that have LOW to ZERO PM schedules
and I have known many that NEVER believed in changing oil, just adding as needed IF needed
ad then the next guy buys there ?? and the oil in it is half like tar and full of strange things, and its a 50/50 deal if the new oil makes things work well or causes problems
the problems tend to come from the NEW oil working as a cleaning agent, and causing all the THICK and gunky crap, and making it NOW start to float about in the motor and that can some times end up causing motor parts to get damaged
what IMO he should to is, YES change the oil and filter
and then change it again in a few HOURS, and then a THIRD time, pending what the oil looks like after each change till it STAY"S pretty darn clean and gunk THINK particle free!

as if not, this new oil change could lead to motor work for him!, NOT changing oil all these yrs, the $$ he saved, he will NOW be paying back into doing a few QUICK oil changes
that is IF he cares to NOT risk problem, which IMO is most likely NOT in his plans, he will roll the dice and IF something happens, rather just complain about it,
when it was most likely HIM that caused it by NOT doing basic care to make it last longer!
this is the same reason on trans too, NEW fluids clean and break loose all the crap in the trans and THINK fluids that settle in places(corners and or bottom of pan over time, or like area's)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Talked to BIL this morning on the phone, I told him what the neighbor atv mechanic said, and also told him you all's suggestions on changing the oil, he said go for it change it and he will deal with it if something comes up in the future. He has atv fever, he's wanting a bigger newer machine. One of his friends bought a 2017 700 Kodiak 4x4 not long ago and gave him the I wants. He told me to keep my eye open for something like/similar to my Arctic Cat 650 I just bought. I have a feeling maybe the little Kawasaki Mojave 250 may be for sale before long the way he's acting.

Tony

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Talked to BIL this morning on the phone, I told him what the neighbor atv mechanic said, and also told him you all's suggestions on changing the oil, he said go for it change it and he will deal with it if something comes up in the future. He has atv fever, he's wanting a bigger newer machine. One of his friends bought a 2017 700 Kodiak 4x4 not long ago and gave him the I wants. He told me to keep my eye open for something like/similar to my Arctic Cat 650 I just bought. I have a feeling maybe the little Kawasaki Mojave 250 may be for sale before long the way he's acting.

Tony
HAHA< and it will soon be a ticking time bomb for some poor sucker that buys it off him then, as I doubt he will tell of his lack of maintenance?
NOT bashing, just saying
new owner will shortly be on some Kawa forum, asking for help LOL

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HAHA< and it will soon be a ticking time bomb for some poor sucker that buys it off him then, as I doubt he will tell of his lack of maintenance?
NOT bashing, just saying
new owner will shortly be on some Kawa forum, asking for help LOL
I don't know now if he'll sell or not,actually last night he bought a new to him 2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI 4X4 with 832 miles and 128 hours on it. The guy he bought it from bought it new. Really clean looking bike, and it looked to me that it had not been abused, seemed to preform well while testing it out. I went with him to haul it home on my trailer and I said after we loaded it up, well I guess the little Kawasaki is going to be for sale now, he said no I'll probably hang on to it and keep it around as a spare to ride if someone else comes over and does not have anything to ride.

Tony

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little update on the Kawasaki Mojave 250 my atv mechanic neighbor has had the 250 now for about a month and a half, working on it in his spare time. He is a workaholic, works 7 days a week. He has a regular 40 + hour a week job and on weekends works at a local pawn shop on Saturday and a auto parts place on Sunday. On top of that people come by his house constantly wanting him to fix something.

He called me about a week ago and said the Kawasaki was ready, that he put a kit in the carburetor, changed oil and filter,new spark plug, and fixed the reverse with a new cable so now the reverse works, it never has worked since my BIL has owned it. He said come outside and I'll fire it up and show you everything is working and we can take it over to your shop. He rode it down the street a couple times and parked in front of my sidewalk and shut it off. We talked a little bit and then he went to crank it up and it was hard to crank and he was saying WTF, it was starting with one kick every time. I said how much fuel does it have ? He checked and it was out, so he said I got a can over here in my truck,he put about a half tank fuel in it and it finally cranked up but you had to feather the throttle to keep it idling. He said it may have sucked something into that carb so he said I'll tear it apart again and see, probably a spec of dirt/trash.

Now here is the kicker and I was wondering what you guys would do ? I ask what do you think my BIL will owe you for the work you have done on the Kawasaki ? He said well he'll definitely owe me for the parts I ordered, but I'll leave my labor up to him, what ever he wants to pay or he can pay me nothing at all :eek. I told my BIL this and he kind of got like well I have no idea what the labor would be, I want to be fair about paying him something but the whole purpose of using your mechanic neighbor friend was not having to take it to a dealership to pay their prices.

What would you guys say would be fair ? He my neighbor mechanic will not really give me any hour wise time he spent working on it, it's just when ever he had the chance to mess with it he said. I have not heard from him this week whether he's looked at the carb or not. I'm thinking the parts are going to total around the $80 dollar mark, and I kind of feel he does not want to put a labor charge on there since we are neighbor friends.

Tony

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Buy him a gift of the same value. Example: if he's like me, a nice bottle of single malt Scotch. Feel free to try it out on me first, if you'd like, hehe. Or, maybe take him out to his favorite steak house? Again feel free to test this theory on me.....

·
Administrator
37,120 Posts
You should install an inline filter so it doesn’t happen again

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should install an inline filter so it doesn’t happen again
Yep I agree that has already been thought about and mentioned.

I thought a little more about the labor pay situation and since my neighbor won't give me a price quote with how much time I'm going to suggest to my BIL to give him about $75-80 bucks. Since I told him that my BIL bought a newer quad he has sort of put off working on the Kawasaki, like put him on the back burner so to speak. Nothing against my neighbor because I know he is busy, but when he found that out it was not such a priority to get it done quick the way I'm looking at it.

Tony

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
Based on past decades of 250 4-stroke Tecate service history, I’m very surprised this unit still starts “without” needing to be push started in 2nd gear (to turn engines internals over much faster than even a new healthy starter/battery combo could ever accomplish) in compensation for super tight valve clearances creating low compression...?

Those things are notoriously known for that very issue..

I’m wondering if “just maybe” that has finally caught up with his lack of maintenance....?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Based on past decades of 250 4-stroke Tecate service history, I’m very surprised this unit still starts “without” needing to be push started in 2nd gear (to turn engines internals over much faster than even a new healthy starter/battery combo could ever accomplish) in compensation for super tight valve clearances creating low compression...?

Those things are notoriously known for that very issue..

I’m wondering if “just maybe” that has finally caught up with his lack of maintenance....?
I don't know that much about the tolerances on those little Kawasaki engines to be honest. Right now I'm waiting on a new oem petcock that I ordered to get here, I think we have pretty much narrowed it down to the cause it won't stay running now to being a bad petcock. You can try to start it, kick start that is, and nothing. My neighbor said it would crank right up first kick after he overhauled and re-install the carburetor. You can fiddle around with the petcock switching it back and forth and it starts right up, but then you have to feather the throttle to keep it running and then it will eventually die. We are thinking the diaphragm in the petcock it messing up starving it of fuel, we hope :grin. Otherwise when it is running it does just fine,no smoke,no backfire, it goes like a bat out of hell.

Tony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts