Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been around snowmobile my whole life and now I am 13. I want to start learning about the engine and knowing what everything does. All these parts to upgrade your sled i need to know what they and what they do. So i want to know right now what is up with these V-FORCE thing what do they do and were do they go? And what is a Y pipe? I hope you can tell me something cuz i'm clueless. Thanks Alot!!!!- r-tic boi

(SHARE ANYTHING YOU WISH TO TEACH ME ABOUT SNOWMOBILES,ENGINES, GEAR, AND PARTS, THANKS!!!!)

-----r-tic boi-----

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm about the same age as you. I don't know a whole lot about V-Force reeds but from what alot of people have said here they don't seem to notice any difference between the stock reeds and the V forces. A Y- pipe is the y shaped pipe that connects your engine to your regular pipe. If you buy and aftermarket y- pipe with a D&D single pipe and chip you can expect some major horsepower gains. If you have any more questions just ask

Here a kinda sucky pic of my engine on my sled. you can see the Y-pipe just starting towards the top and going out of the picture. And don't make fun of me because my pipe it the rustiest thing around. :p Next summer a D&D pipe will be there
[attachment=59625:MMMMM_horsepower.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a ton! but I still don't get what the reeds do for the sled or were they are? and the clutch? is that the thing the recoil rope wraps around that you pull?

·
Registered
550 Posts
The cluthes are on the left side of the sled if your sitting on it. The big one is the Primary and the smaller one is the seconday.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
all right so were the same age but i know alot about this stuff v-force reeds are supposed to give you like a 2-3 hp gain but it not much
and a cluch is the part that the belt goes around there is a primary clutch (the bigger one) and a secondary (the smaller one ) the primary is the one that is connected to the motor so when you press the gas it spins the belt that which spins the secondary clutch which is connected to a part which i forgot what it was called but it has rivets in so that i gets into the holes in the track so that it spins the track

thats what i got for ya if you need n e thing else pm me n e time

u r welcome
snoprokf

lil pic of my sled
soory cant get the 01 with 02 mtn cat 800 graphics

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
Cluth is the thing where ur belt it, the thing that turns your whole snowmobile so it can move. Not sure on reeds I think somewhere near the clyinders.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Your chaincase has your gears and chain (like a bike). The clutches make the chain turn the gears. The gears spin the driveshaft that is under the sled that makes the track move. The drivers on the driveshaft catch the track windows(the little rectangles on the track) which makes you move.

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (r-tic boi @ Jan 4 2007, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks a ton! but I still don't get what the reeds do for the sled or were they are? and the clutch? is that the thing the recoil rope wraps around that you pull?[/b]
I never saw where anyone explained the reeds to you....so basically they are like a one way valve, that allows the air/fule charge to be drawn into the engine, but not to go back into the intake.
They can basically be easier or harder to bend depending on the type.
They wear out over time, and can even get chips and cracks in them, require them to be replaced.
I hope that helps explain it some.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks eveyone i'm am understanding a ton of stuff now! I think i'll stay away from reeds. thanks again and if there is anything else you wish to tell me about go ahead! - r-tic boi

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The reed cages are behind the carborators and when the engine is turning, it pulls the air/gas mixture thru the the carbs first, then the Reeds. V-force Reeds and Boysen Rad valves do show some hp gains as well as adding to throttle response, mainly on low and midrange pull. They can also help improve gas milage for some machines. Some are single stage and some are dual stage, meaning that they open at different throttle positions. I don't think D & D makes a y-pipe for the older or pre 04-05 600's. The primary clutch is attached to the motor and the secondary, larger in diameter, is attached to the drive shaft that turns the chaincase. Clutch kits usually consist of clutch weights, and springs, along with a helix. The weights change both engagement and max rpm ranges along with the springs, one in the primary and the second in the secondary. the secondary spring is usually adjustable in a range by changing the mounting hole on the secondary clutch face, usually 200 rpms per hole. You can change the gearing in the chain case dependent on whether you are looking for out of the hole performance, top end or something in between. If you want to learn the one of the most important aspects of sled set-up, read Olav Aaens clutching book, no better way to make a sled perform than to get the power to ground the best for each riders weight and needs. Ask away, many people on here willing to add there opinions and experiences for newbies.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fan cooled snowmobiles are slower than liquid cooled ones but they are lighter. Liquid cooled sleds have radiators under the seat and above the track where snow kicks up onto the radiator to cool them down. Fan sleds have a fan that blows air across the motor to cool it.
a "can" is an exhaust muffler
hyfax is the plastic strips that the track slides along on
carbides are sharp metal edges that dig deep into ice and real hard snow, they wear after a while

·
Registered
550 Posts
I never realized how much fun it is teaching people about how sleds work. If there is anything else you want to know ask it or PM me.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Cat4Ever: Your chaincase has your gears and chain (like a bike). The clutches make the chain turn the gears. The gears spin the driveshaft that is under the sled that makes the track move. The drivers on the driveshaft catch the track windows(the little rectangles on the track) which makes you move.

Sorry gotta correct this. The clutch doesnt turn the gears the clutch turns the jackshaft and that turns the top gear in the chaincase along with the brake disc, the top gear then turns a chain that turns the bottom gear. That then turns the driveshaft and the drivers. The drivers then grip the little nubs (they are basicly track lugs but shaped differently) on the inside of the track not the track windows. the track windows allow snow to get to the slider to cool them off. The track clips are there so the sliders have something to glide on instead of the rubber of the track. Another thing to add about the clutches. On snowmobiles the clutches move in and out to change the gearing of the drive system. When you start to move the clutches are gears to give you better off the line performance and make it so the sled doesnt bog out. At top speed the Primary squezes the belt to the top and the secondary (or driven) clutch moves uot so the belt slides down in so you can get the most speeed out of it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
lol i hope you didnt take that the wrong way. i was just trying to get the onfo out there

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i'm glad everyone is having fun learning new things and teaching me a little of what you know, you guys are cool, thanks a bunch for teaching me all this I really appresheate it. Please say more! ----- r-tic boi -------

1 - 20 of 36 Posts