Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ive been looking into new tires and wheels because my stock wheels are beat and i know im getting swamplites but i cant decide on wheels i know that after a year my stock wheels look like a shark chewed them so i was looking into steel wheels but i can only find 2 from itp which i dont like. but alot of people have aluminum and they have to be taking a beating too.but everyones wheels look perfect. like there not even being used. i would like the aluminum for less weight so i can go with 26"s on my 06 400 without power loss but again how do they hold up do they take a beating better any recomendations.they dont have that stupid lip on them like the steel wheels. any ways some pros and cons of aluminum or steel would be a great help. and what do you guys think about black wheels i typically hate the look of them on trucks and cars but i thought they would hide damage better. maybe look better on atvs i dont know thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
IMHO black wheels are a no go. i think it's a horrible fad. scratches show up easy and they get dirty just as bad. remember, the black is just a paint where the aluminum finish is the actual material.

as far as steel rims go of your paying for a new set of wheels why not go aluminum? less weight, the make a good tire stand out and its not like a rim is gonna break.

i put like 900 miles on my itp T-7's in around 5 months. i would just polish them with some mothers wadding compound every month or so. as far as scratches go, hey... it's on a 4 wheeler right? scratches make stories and character lol..

also dremel makes a aluminum sanding and buffing kit if you really wanna get in there and "brush those teeth" haha

look at my sig and avitar.. that too is a 06 400. the aluminim doesn't look all that bad now does it!
good luck sir

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think black rims look great. Not realy a fad since they were around since dirt was invented. I'm not sure how they would hold up to scratches, like six-ohh said you would see the alum. That said the Swamplites will be wider and I was told they have a rim protector so it might protect the rim better.

[attachment=62415:pullin_wood.JPG][attachment=62416:Quad_with_Julia.JPG]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are the aluminum as hard as steel or are they softer. forged or machined. i wasnt really concerned about scratching just rock bashing it isnt a factor you can avoid in new hampshire and maine. thanks for the pics vt it helps to have pics to look at to help decide i like that simple look but i could stare at that shiny aluminum all day lol. six what size tire you running on your 400. i want to run 26" but am nervouse ill lose alot of power. my 400 is all stock. but i think it will help with rock crawling.and it looks better thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (six-ohh @ Jan 31 2007, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
as far as steel rims go of your paying for a new set of wheels why not go aluminum? less weight, the make a good tire stand out and its not like a rim is gonna break.[/b]
Oh yeah...
[attachment=62429:IMAG0018.jpg]

That was one of my ITP 10" C-series wheel that I ruined and have no idea what it was I hit to do the damage. I believe these wheels are cast made and this will tend to break more then bend.

Though dont let this scare you away from running aluminum rims rango726, this is also on my DVX with only 3-4" of tire sidewall so the wheel would be more prone to damage. I've also seen some steel wheels fold up front hitting rocks as well too, the nice benefits of the aluminum are lighter weight and of course appearance wise. In my experiences I do find the aluminum wheels softer then a factory steel wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My rims are Delta Steel, 30% stronger than OEM, but heavier than aluminum. I have the chromed steel, which looks nice. Check them out at ATV connection, as i seem to not be able to upload photos here for some reason

·
Registered
177 Posts
I believe ITP is warrantying some rims against breakage. I was on their website looking at the SS series and I'm sure I read if you bend or break them they will replace them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts