Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with my h1. When I push the start button nothing happens.

I pulled the little connector off of the starter solenoid and tested it with a dmm. With the key on and just sitting there there is no power at the little solenoid wires like it should be. When i push the start button the voltage jumps up to 12 volts. So there is power there. However, it still doesn't do anything. Theres good contact everywhere on the solenoid. If I stick a screwdriver on the 2 big posts it turns right over. So you'd think that the solenoid is junk, correct?

Wrong. I bought a brand new solenoid and hooked it up, same thing. I jump the big posts and it turns right over and fires up. Power everywhere that there should be. But it won't turn over.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Bring it back to the dealer, its under warranty? Also I know this sound dumb, but make sure its in nuetral,try using the handbrake at the same time. Mine wont turn over unless its ; in nuetral, in gear with handbrake on. Might be some conflict in there somewhere??? I dunno

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what the deal is.

Can somebody do me a favor? Run out to your wheeler, take a continuity tester, hook one end up to a bolt or ground on the battery doesn't matter, and hook the other end up to the starter side on the solenoid.

When I do that it beeps. Now to me it shouldn't, because one is a ground and the other is a hot wire. That would make one think there is a short somewhere by the starter, but why does it turn over when I hook the hot wire on the starter up to the battery?

Blackcat, yes it is under warranty but I'd rather try to fix it by myself, if I bring it in I have to rip the snorkels off. Bringing it to the dealer is a last resort.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Just tried it and I too am toning out. To clarify, I took one lead to ground and the other lead to the "outgoing" post on the solenoid under the seat.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup. That's the way I did it as well. Thanks sanny.

I downloaded an 06 SM and did exactly what they said under the starter solenoid section. Everything tested exactly as they said it should.

So if everything is testing right, why won't it turn over?

That would lead one to believe that everything is working right, and that maybe a starter cable is bad. But that can't be it either as it works fine when you jump it.

I'm lost.

Looks like I might have to take the snorkels off and bring her in.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
tap on the top of the solenoid it could be stuck

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whoops my bad.

There is 1 test that failed. It tells you to hook the red wire on the dmm to the positive on the battery, and the black wire to the starter side of the solenoid, it should read battery voltage. When you hit the starter button it should drop to 0. Mine doesn't.

So it then tells me to pull of the little plug on the solenoid and hook the red wire to the green one and the black one to the black one. And with the starter button pushed it should read battery voltage, which it does. So it then tells me to replace the solenoid.

I already did that. I think it's lying to me. lol

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrazyYooper @ May 2 2007, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
tap on the top of the solenoid it could be stuck[/b]
Tried that, with both of em.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Whereabouts in Central MN you located? I might be going to St. Cloud with CrazyYooper this weekend for the ATV fair. Maybe we could take mine out and put it in yours. You may have just gotten a bad part from the dealership. It's rare, but it does happen.

Stupid question, but you did hook up the solenoid properly (polarity), right?

Also, isn't there a fuse underneath it? Did you check that?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ May 2 2007, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Whereabouts in Central MN you located? I might be going to St. Cloud with CrazyYooper this weekend for the ATV fair. Maybe we could take mine out and put it in yours. You may have just gotten a bad part from the dealership. It's rare, but it does happen.

Stupid question, but you did hook up the solenoid properly (polarity), right?

Also, isn't there a fuse underneath it? Did you check that?[/b]

I'm in litchfield. About 45 min south of st. cloud. When are you coming to st. cloud? If I have time I might swing up there.

Yeah there hooked up right. Same way the factory one was hooked up.

These solenoid don't have any fuses. Maybe the 05's are different than the 07's?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Something isn't adding up here. It sounds as though your readings are exactly opposite of what they are suppose to be. You said With the key on and just sitting there there is no power at the little solenoid wires like it should be. When i push the start button the voltage jumps up to 12 volts. The Service Manual says it should read battery voltage while sitting there (which I just checked mine and it does). When you hit the starter button it should drop to 0.

If I go up there, it would be Saturday for the ATV fair. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are talking about the 2 wire plug correct?

In the 06 manual I have it says that with the button pressed it should have battery voltage at those 2 little wires.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks sanny but don't worry about it. I got it fixed. Rockerdude :super_happy:

It was my starter switch. I had it apart to check the wires, when I was putting it back together the switch itself came apart. There is a little spring in there that creates the contact between the wires, it was stuck in there sideways. I put it back in right, put the switch back together and hit the button and it fired right off.

Which makes me wonder, if the spring wasn't in there right and not making contact, how was it giving 12 volts to the relay? I called the dealer and asked him about it and he had no clue, he was just as confused as I was. He also told me that there was probably water getting in there causing it to blow the ignition fuse. Which does make sense, since it only had an issue after I washed it, and while riding in the rain. Both of which would let water get in the switch. I've had it in deep deep water before and it never had a problem.

I filled the switch up with dielectric grease, and did all of the other connectors I could find. Should be good to go now.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.