Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d70.jpg

2006 Panther 660, just did the bearings about 300 miles ago...son of a gun.

I've never seen a drive shaft break in half. Nothing caused it, no impact or anything like that and surely the 50HP wasn't a factor. He was just driving along and said it was like the brake locked up. Getting it out was interesting as the track doesn't move. We ended up using a roll up sled which was very exciting. Let's just say it's like trying t drive a rudderless boat, 10 miles of it to boot. I'll see if I can get a picture of the setup.

I sure hope it didn't foul up anything in the chain case. Oh and the drive shaft on this guy is NLA. It's an odd ball used only on Panther 660s. Pretty much a mechanical spedo drive but with the newer style bolt and not the stud on the chain case side. I've got a plan though, the old style stud shaft and my lathe should make it right.

K

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Well that sucks!! Hope there’s not but there might be some chaincase damage. And it’s not like there’s an abundance of those sleds around for used parts either.
Best of luck on fixing it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Same happened to one I had a few yrs ago. Just cruising along & BAM! Ended up tying the back end off the ground & dragging it backwards. 15 miles!!

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did get this old girl back on her feet. It turned out to be a pretty expensive trip. The bottom sprocket was toast, chewed up pretty bad. The biggest issue was the shift fork though. It was on back order all spring and into the summer (might still be for all I know). No one had one used as most folks were selling complete cases. I finally found a cover off a 1993 Prowler that had the shift fork for a good price, NOS at that! If anyone needs the cover sans fork let me know. :)

I ended up going with the older stud style drive shaft, I found a new one for about what folks wanted for used ones and the owner preferred new. I just had to get the large reverse adapter that goes on the end and we were in business. Throw in a new chain and bearings and we were off to the races, or at least off to summer storage!

These ZR chassis are like legos, you can mix and match parts as long as you use your head. It really sucks they stuck with those little bearings on the drive shaft, if the upsized those I think the design would have been super sound. Those bearings are also expensive (yes, I know the aftermarket ones are cheap but they're also not the same), my buddy just did all the drive line bearings on his '12 F1100 and it was less than half the price for much more substantial bearings...

Still don't know what caused it to break. The bearings were like new, probably could have reused them but we opted not to because of the trauma they had seen.

K

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Good to hear you got it going!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Strange that the newer sled's bearings are double the size, but a fraction of the price

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange that the newer sled's bearings are double the size, but a fraction of the price
I know. It has to be that they're just standard bearings, nothing funky like internal O-Rings or special grease loads.

Why AC took so long to figure out that a nice big bearing and a separate oil seal was a good idea is beyond me.

K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts