Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my recent experience of toasting the spindle bearing at the speedo adapter I got to wondering . . . .

• Why did this one go after only 1500 miles from brand new? Was my track tension too tight?

• Since these are sealed bearings should they just be changed out at a certain number of miles or seasons?

• The bearing on the gearbox side seemed fine, should I have changed it while everything was apart?

• What about the bearings on the drive & driven shafts? Do I just wait for them to go or be proactive?

I only got into this sport 3 years ago and have learned a lot. But I hate surprises. :wacko:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
That bearing should be considered a maintenance item, just like Hyfax or carbides, but 1500 miles is low. It could have been a defective bearing, but have you been lubing it? There is grease zerk on the speedo housing, and adding a little grease on a regular basis there will greatly increase the life of your bearing on that side, even though it is a sealed bearing. Don't overdo it. When replacing that bearing, I always replace the gearbox side as well, even though I have never had a bearing failure on that side. I do not replace the jackshaft bearings on a schedule, but I do inspect them regularly. There should be no lateral movement.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could have been a defective bearing, but have you been lubing it? There is grease zerk on the speedo housing, and adding a little grease on a regular basis there will greatly increase the life of your bearing on that side, even though it is a sealed bearing.
When I pulled the housing there was just a hole where the zerk would have been.
I have since installed one. There was a fair amount of grease in the
housing, I thought it was just for the speedo mechanism.

But if it is a sealed bearing then how does that grease pumped into
the housing make it into the bearing? :huh:

·
Registered
62 Posts
The speedo side should be sealed on the inside and open on the other to allow the grease to reach the bearing internals. If the sleds showed 1500 miles, had a bad bearing and also no zert, it sounds like maybe the sled had more than 1500 miles...

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The speedo side should be sealed on the inside and open on the other to allow the grease to reach the bearing internals. If the sleds showed 1500 miles, had a bad bearing and also no zert, it sounds like maybe the sled had more than 1500 miles...
No, I bought the sled from the original owner when it had just 250 miles on it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
To me, they look like a Protected bearing. They have a metal protector. Not plastic a plastic "seal" like an alleged sealed bearing.

IMO, there is no such thing as a sealed bearing in reality. All "sealed bearings", like for the idler wheels, have little to no grease. Those I peal open and pack with grease.

The Protected Drive Shaft bearing needs to be greased & purged a couple times, depending upon mileage & conditions, per season. Then Really greased & purged when putting into storage.

The grease pushes through and makes a mess, under the tunnel, around the drive shaft. Just wipe off the excess and you're good to go.

I just did this, last night, in preparation for a 200+ mile ride on Saturday. I Do, however, like to change bearings at the 3000 mile mark, as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Have they ever been changed? How old is the sled? Depending on storage I would change them between 6-10 years regardless of mileage.

I change mine at 5000 miles, I usually do all 4 but when I did my 02 T-Cat a while ago I only did the clutch side driveshaft and jackshaft and sure enough I blew the bottom bearing in the chaincase for my first time ever. It has reverse though and I guess it is spinning more weight.

01 and up jackshaft sleds have a relubricative bearing on the jackshaft that works very well. It claims to have a relube bearing on the driveshaft also but does not work and the part number has been changed up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts