Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
iam looking for some help
some one on here had a plow that he rerouted the winch cable around a roller to change the angle so he would not break the winch cable. i searched through 15 pages and could not find. Does any one know where to find this.
thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,517 Posts
I remember seeing something like that too.

I just use a 2inch strap. If it breaks it's cheap to fix, but it hasn't yet. The only thing to make sure about is that your bottom roller is rolling. You do have to remove the cable but other than that it's great. Synthetic cable is much better than steel if you don't want to go without 50ft of cable during the winter.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
FYI,
I use synthetic and have had it snap while plowing...just tied another knot on the hook and away I went. Rope was a foot shorter, but I've never missed it...this is another benefit of the synth. over the decapitator (steel) cable.

BTW, I too wish there was a efficient and quick mount way to reroute the winch cable so that the line of pull was different...haven't found it yet. The plow set up for the Prowler appears to have something of the sort, but I've never seen it in person, and from what I've seen of it online I have serious doubts about it's robustness for real world plowing!

Ideal world would be a set up SIMILAR to the Black Line plows, only it would have a float option and not cost you a pair of nuts!

JMO
hos

·
Registered
838 Posts
I too have had the same problem with synthetic breaking.......so I took a short piece of synthetic and tied it to(doubled the strap over and melted a hole for the synthetic) about 8 feet of 2" strap, spooled it on and no problems with the strap.

I did polish my fairlead to a mirror finish...the synthetic fairleads are not exactly smooth if you get the cheap cast fairlead like I got with my xxxx winch.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I started having problems with my cable snapping last year, so I set up something that sounds similar to what you're talking about...

I repaired the snapped cable with TWO cable clamps. Then I picked up a 24 inch 5000lb axle strap with metal loops on each end and a snatch-block with a grab hook. I actually alternate how I run the cable though, to hopefully further reduce chances of snapping it again...

My original set-up was the Arctic Cat 'factory' type - I think it's just a rebadged Warn plow set-up. As it was, the cable would come outta the fairlead and bend basically 45 degrees and run straight down to the plow frame...

The pic shows the snatch-block hanging from the axle strap and the cable running up through it back down to the forward mount piont on the plow frame. But I've also used it where I've hooked the snatch-block directly to the plow frame, then ran the cable from that UP to the axle strap & hooked it onto the metal loops. I've seen both set-ups used for newer plow set-ups, so I figured there must be something to it. Once I get the plow frame back on it, I can route it the other way and snap a pic of that too...

The theory here is that the angle at which the cable is routed should cause less strain on it and that the snatch-block (pully) should reduce the effort on the winch. It lasted the better part of last winter without so much as a sign of wear. Well, I hope anyway! Hope it helps...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stoneman @ Nov 23 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I started having problems with my cable snapping last year, so I set up something that sounds similar to what you're talking about...

I repaired the snapped cable with TWO cable clamps. Then I picked up a 24 inch 5000lb axle strap with metal loops on each end and a snatch-block with a grab hook. I actually alternate how I run the cable though, to hopefully further reduce chances of snapping it again...

My original set-up was the Arctic Cat 'factory' type - I think it's just a rebadged Warn plow set-up. As it was, the cable would come outta the fairlead and bend basically 45 degrees and run straight down to the plow frame...

The pic shows the snatch-block hanging from the axle strap and the cable running up through it back down to the forward mount piont on the plow frame. But I've also used it where I've hooked the snatch-block directly to the plow frame, then ran the cable from that UP to the axle strap & hooked it onto the metal loops. I've seen both set-ups used for newer plow set-ups, so I figured there must be something to it. Once I get the plow frame back on it, I can route it the other way and snap a pic of that too...

The theory here is that the angle at which the cable is routed should cause less strain on it and that the snatch-block (pully) should reduce the effort on the winch. It lasted the better part of last winter without so much as a sign of wear. Well, I hope anyway! Hope it helps...[/b]
your not gaining any leverage with the snatch block in front of the fairlead you just gained a roller further out.

what i do with mine is hook the snatch block onto the plow then run the cable through the snatch block and at the top of my bumper(like you have it but a much shorter strap) .

if you do it this way your winch would get 1/2 the load, and your winch and battery will thank you.

then i use a rubber bunjie cord and hook it to the back side of my blade then around the winch cable and back to the blade, that way there is always tension on the cable, prevents the cable from loosening on the drum and destroying itself.
one last thing i cover the cable,snatch block wheel with white lithum grease from a tub not spray.
this helps keep the wear down on the cable and snatch block.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
here are the pics you might be looking for. i welded an eye bolt to a tube then welded the tube to the push bar. i am still using a steel cable. this set up can be modded up to work with a strap too

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
The use of an old 1" ratchet strap was the best idea I've heard yet. Just double it up and stick through the hole in the winch drum. Tie a knot in it so it can't come out. Then just tie it to the AC plow where you would normally connect the cable or rope. If it breaks it usually breaks where it's tied to the plow. Just cut the old knot off and tie another. I've used the same strap for two years now and I think there is still enough to use it this year.

The only time the strap breaks is when I forget to let off the switch when lifting the plow. Not very often. A heavier strap would be better and I'll use a stronger strap when this one is shot.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catwalkin @ Nov 23 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
your not gaining any leverage with the snatch block in front of the fairlead you just gained a roller further out.[/b]
I never thought of that. You're right! :oops:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catwalkin @ Nov 23 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
what i do with mine is hook the snatch block onto the plow then run the cable through the snatch block and at the top of my bumper(like you have it but a much shorter strap) .

if you do it this way your winch would get 1/2 the load, and your winch and battery will thank you.[/b]
I pointed out in my post I also run it that way. I switch the set-ups back & forth (takes all of about 10 minutes) to save wear & tear on the cable though. I believe the cable snaps because the same section of cable runs though the roller(s) so much, over & over & over again. I dunno, maybe I'm being overly cautious about it. Now that I've been dope-slapped though, I'll be running it more this way this winter... :)

then i use a rubber bunjie cord and hook it to the back side of my blade then around the winch cable and back to the blade, that way there is always tension on the cable, prevents the cable from loosening on the drum and destroying itself.
one last thing i cover the cable,snatch block wheel with white lithum grease from a tub not spray.
this helps keep the wear down on the cable and snatch block.[/b]
Can ya snap a pic of this? My mind can't help me picture it - the bunjie set-up, that is...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stoneman @ Nov 24 2009, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catwalkin @ Nov 23 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
your not gaining any leverage with the snatch block in front of the fairlead you just gained a roller further out.[/b]
I never thought of that. You're right! :oops:

if you do it this way your winch would get 1/2 the load, and your winch and battery will thank you.[/b]
I pointed out in my post I also run it that way. I switch the set-ups back & forth (takes all of about 10 minutes) to save wear & tear on the cable though. I believe the cable snaps because the same section of cable runs though the roller(s) so much, over & over & over again. I dunno, maybe I'm being overly cautious about it. Now that I've been dope-slapped though, I'll be running it more this way this winter... :)

this helps keep the wear down on the cable and snatch block.[/b]
Can ya snap a pic of this? My mind can't help me picture it - the bunjie set-up, that is...
[/b][/quote]

will do

1 - 11 of 11 Posts