Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my last bike i snorkeled the diff vent lines to the pod with vacum line as you normally would. well sometimes i would put the pod under and then milk the diffs and have to go thru all that mess...
and i dont want to run those stock accordian things cause one way or another they leak as well thru the seams

my question is, how much room do yall think the case really needs for expansion/contraction in the diffs? i was thinking of running the lines up to the pod again and then plugging the lines with a screw. this making the air in the lines used for the same as the stock plastic accordian flez tube thingy. i was also considering just plugging the diffs right out of the case. would there be any problem with this? i mean the air and water temp does not even variate here in texas that much to even allow that much expansion or cantraction on the little amount of air that is even in the case.

i guess i just want to really avoid milking the diffs all together on this new bike.. and i drive it like a damn 15 year old so it will go deep badcomputer

comments? suggestions?

marcus :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Don't really think it is required, mine spends more time under water than above, only had a milky diff one time and it was self inflicked. (Snapped case) oh and one other time when one of my axle seals went. other than that golden brown... but hey if you are doing it why not. 6 of one 1/2dozen of another....... :beer_cheers:

Smoke

·
Registered
45 Posts
When you say the slinky stock thing fails is it from dry rot rubber or a leak at the base you are talking about. I would really like to use them on mine if anything reinforce the seal with some silicone around the base of it.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jaSON, the "slinky thing" lol is made of a thin cheap plastic and if you look closley it is made of two halves melted together. when my bike was stock it milked my rear diff in no time. and then i pulled the little apparatus to find it was cracked in several places either from changes in temperature or the cheap design of it. and you have to think. in the summer with the sun beating down.. the metal on the diff could well be 90 to 100 degrees. and then you go to cross a creek and the temp of the falls a good 20 degrees causing contraction of the air in the diff and all.. so if there were even a small leak there it can cause a slight vacum and water can and will be sucked right in it it's not air tight...

smoke.. my bike goes very deep, they racks go under a lot. and i just dont wanna take the chance of milk in the diff like i did in the 400.. and this bike is like a fresh start to me so i'm thinking of just running a little vacumum line up and plugging it. that way even if i roll my bike into the water up side down( like i have done before) i wont have to worry about the diff fluid.

has anyone else ever had their stock diff breather seal thingy fail them? or am i just rough as hell on these bikes? lol

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Why not run one hose between the front and rear ? That much would let them breath for sure and it would be water proof, Just thinking out loud

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's actually not a bad idea except if i was doing a wheelie or if i rolled the bike wonder if fluids would be exchanged between diffs?

doubt it

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I have had one fail and one rip off both times on the front.

WC

·
Registered
10 Posts
You answered your own question. If you plug the diff vent, the air in your diff won't be able to expand and contract with temperature. So when your cruzing around in the sun, your diff will get really hot right? Then you bail off in a creek. The water cools down the diff (and the fluid) quickly creating a vacuum in the diff (cuz you ain't got a vent). SO what happens? Your diff will suck the creek water into it the easiest way it can, through the axle seals. Now you have milky diff fluid and even worse, possible sand and grit in your axle seals. Just something to think about. Hell, you can zip tie a balloon to the end if you want to. You don't have to get the fancy accordian doo hickeys. LATER...

·
Registered
454 Posts
zip tie a condom. LMAO. :banman: :banman: :banman:

·
Registered
321 Posts
What "accordian thingy" are y'all talking about? Do you mean the gearcase bladder?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts