Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How deep is too deep without having a snorkel? Not that I really care about going in deep mud and water but just to be on the safe side I was wondering how deep a 650 could go without having a snorkel installed.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
with the V2's it in not only how deep, but how much of an approach angle you take. the intake is right between the headlights and if you blast into a water hole it can wash up into the air box and kill the engine like this
[attachment=67632:ATV_Trip_20006_07.jpg]

If I had gone slower I would have made it, but going to fast caused a wave to wash up into my air box soaking the filter and getting into the carb

Hope this helps :beer_cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question...but if you do go too deep and kill the engine, what is the best thing to do?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was told by my dealer that snorkeling would void my warranty. Is this true

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
depends on the dealer, if they are willing to work with you so to speak.
on my 05 v2 i have went slow (like was mentioned) to the bottom of the seat, or lowest part of the seat (just yesterday while out riding with the wife) with no problems. gets my nerves going when i am creeping into a water hole that i am not sure of, never know if it drops off..........

if your level in the water, water will enter your belt intake first, lowest stock air intake on the machine.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
100% dependant on your dealer and what they will do for ya. If you snorkel your machine and something unrelated (diffy gear, water pump, cv axle, etc...) fails, the question becomes will they cover it? 100% up to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
if you do go too deep and kill the engine, what is the best thing to do?[/b]
Kill the engine before the water kills it for youi. The price difference is typically around $4000. :)
1. Drain carb
2. Inspect air filter and clean out airbox.
3. Tip quad on end so that water/mud exits exhaust.
4. Pull plug(s) and pull over by hand to eject water from cylinders.
5. Check oil. If overfilled with water, get towed home. Not worth the risk IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is correct, if you think you are too deep, SHUT IT OFF.......first and foremost. This will stop the water from being syphoned into the intakes. It takes a while for water to overcome the backpressure of the intakes, but when it is being pulled in, it fills up quick. Have it towed out, or Winch yourself out immediately...that means dont laugh and say "go get the camera"!!! and waste precious time.

The other thing I would do if i Had the option, taking what Sanny has already explained into account, would be pull the Oil drain Plug and Oil filter as soon as it is out of the water. This will allow all the water trapped on top of the oil inside the engine a place to run out. I would then take 1 qt of new oil , and as long as it doesnt appear to be watery after you run it back through the engine and out the drain it SHOULD be good. Most know what good oil looks like, If it doesnt look good, or questionable you should run more new oil through. I remember reading about and engine treatment for this situation, but I'll have to get back to you on it.

Side note: If/when you do all of this, you do a oil change, Air Filter change etc and it doesnt sound right, dont keep it running. You will damage the engine more by having a little bit of water in the engine, than running low on oil. Water can not be compressed by the engine, and will likely cause a catastrophic engine failure. If you have ANY doubts, seek a Professional. Better to pay a little now, rather than a lot later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts