Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am trying to figure out how to snorkel my 2003 500m. So far I know I have to have a lexan for the lid and seal it up and Clap or bolt it on. Now for the hole pipes and stuff. I have looked around and have seen them come out from the right side, left side, the top, the bottom, and back. Well this got me thinking (mainly from mudded prairies snorkel) I was thinking 2 1 1/2" 90s (the right side pointing towards the front of the bike, then on the left side have the 90 pointing at a downward angle facing towards the front of the bike) then have 1 1/2 spa hose (the right side running right next to the plastic next to the carb, then on the left side run it under the tranny and shifter and up). Would that be to much restriction and with 2 1 1/2" pipe, or is this hole idea crazy and I am just making this harder than it really is? Blah learning about a new quad is tuff. bang your head Also vent lines carb, brake vents?, front and back diffs, is there a gas one?, and radiator. Am I missing any?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I used one 2" pipe on my 05. Alot of people have this set up so you have a good idea what the jetting will end up. Cap the other inlet on the airbox and run a single 2" if its easier. I ran mine out the left side through the plastic under the handlebars and turned it 90 deg backwards works well.
Several others have dual snorkles and they can tell you how they work.

WC

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It's alot harder to snorkel the 04's and older then it is to snorkel the 05's and up.

You only really need one snorkel coming through the front plastic, unless you want more air which equals more power. The reason many have more the one pipe coming through the plastic is because they have an auto so they have to snorkel the belt.
You may get away with running 1.5" pipe.I used 1.5" pipe and did not have to rejet.
You should plug the carb drain ( at the bottom of the carb) and bring the vent on top of the carb up and run it alongside yout snorkel. You could also bring the gas tank vent up, but i havent and have had no problems.The differential vents can be brought up if you want. They should not leak, but i know on my 04 they did. The radiator can also be brought up, but i have had no problems with how it is already

·
Registered
333 Posts
Two inch insn't that hard to use but you have to dry fit the pipe first, meaning DON'T GLUE IT UNTIL IT FITS, that way you can fit it all together and then you just mark your pipe joints with a marker so you can line them up the same way when you glue them. Here's some pics to help maybe.

P.S. 2" rubber couplings help out lots. I got two on the system one on the side and one on top to let the snorkle move and easy replacement incase of breakage. :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts