Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 500 maual and want to put a snorkel on it. I have already swamped it once and don't want to do it again. What does involve and how hard is it to do. What parts do I need and how do I do it. If somebody could post some pictures I would appreciate it . Thanks, hopefully I will show some pictures when I get done.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
All you need to snorkel is the airbox intake. That's the main one if you are just getting 'er unexpectedly wet (versus intentionally playing in some deep water). If you are looking for a "hidden snorkel" look, a Napa 7905 hose will do the trick for ya and take all of 15 minutes to install soup to nuts. If you are looking for exposed snorkels, then there are a myriad of ways you can do it, but all you'll end up needing for supplies is some 2" PVC pipe, a 2-1.5" reducer (if you wanna keep the jetting stock), and two 90 degree PVC elbow joints.

If you wanna play in the deep stuff, then you need to snorkel your diffy vents and your carb vent line as well as capping off your overflow line from your carb (all just small vinyl tubes).

·
Registered
434 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andersonh @ Mar 14 2007, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a 2006 500 maual and want to put a snorkel on it. I have already swamped it once and don't want to do it again. What does involve and how hard is it to do. What parts do I need and how do I do it. If somebody could post some pictures I would appreciate it . Thanks, hopefully I will show some pictures when I get done.[/b]
I was inquiring about the same last night. turns out a member here rugby just snorkeled his sons 400 & 500 machines and posted pictures and a how to. Check out this thread, it answered all the questions I had

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php...54659&st=15

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you snorkel your diff vents and carb vent lines and how do you cap off your overflow line from the carb. I think I want to get ready to play in the deep stuff.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The diff vents are sealed. The "breather" expands when the fluid is heated and contracts when cooled. No need to vent those. Sadly I cant asnwer the questions about the carb vents though, hopefully someone else whill chime in on that subject

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
The carb vent is just a vinyl line, so you can use fuel line and just run it up and under the pod. As for the diffy's, they can/do take on water.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The accordian style breathers on differentials over time can dry rot and crack allowing water and other contaminates in. Another downside is you have to fill the diffs to exact levels or the accordians wont allow the expansion and will leak out the axle seals, again bad. If you remove the accordians and run long vent tubes up to the pod then the heat caused by friction will be vented and when it cools back off the air can return, no problem. Your carb vents are the tubes (not the fuel line) on your carburator. The bottom tube is a drain/vent which can be plugged before riding in the stuff and removed later to drain excess gas out of it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
here is mine i live up north in canada so there is allot of water any way here is a pic down below

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where is the carb vent line. When I snorkle my airbox do I just seal it up and cut a hole and put a piece of pipe out threw the side.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
You don't wanna run your carb vent line into your airbox. The suction from the airbox (which is substantial) will pull gas through that vent line potentially. Rather, you'll want to run it up and under the pod.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I just put an extension on that hose and bring it up under my pod. So that means that hose dosn't go anywhere it is just like an overflow. So the hose going into my airbox is where the snorkel goes into.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
So the hose going into my airbox is where the snorkel goes into.[/b]
Correct. Essentially, a snorkel is an extension of the stock air duct (be it airbox, belt intake/exhaust, carb vents, diffy vents, etc...).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do I have to seal the airbox lid down. And a little correcting does the snorkel come out of the hole in the front of the airbox or the one in the back.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
here is pretty much what I did.

the "u" is for the belt exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am still confused I don't know where to put the snorkel in my airbox and how do I seal it up. My 500 is a manual.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Attach your snorkel to the hose coming out the front of air box. To seal up your air box you could but some silicon around the top edges and the duck bill drain on the bottom.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts