Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already had it to the tops of the headlights a couple times and no longer want to risk it. I will never seek out high water but just want it incase I get it to something deeper than i thought. I have been reading here the past couple weeks and have learned a bit so here are my questions. Whats a "hidden snorkel"? can I use pipes that will make this a bolt on affair so I will not have to rejet? Trying to avoid messing with anything but the intake so it will be easy to return to normal. I have a 3yr warranty and I am having Ac do all my service so I plan to take it back to stock before taking it in. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
If you have had it upto the TOP of the head lights you had better check your filter box for signs of water, because the air deflector/collection box is right behind them.

A hidden snorkel is one that does not come up and out of the plastic/body and is generally hidden by running a flex hose up into the gauge pod area. If you use 1.5" hose or pipe or put a 1.5" reducer on; if you want to run 2" pipe/hose for the future; you wont need to rejet.

The hard part of returning the intake to stock is there is little room for reconnecting the "Z" shaped hose from air collector to air filter box.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Running a hidden snorkle on any of the machines is very easy, all your doing is connecting some 90 degree elbows off the stock airbox (not intake). The problem with "hidden" snorkles is it makes a bit harder than it already is to get the airbox lid in and out of the cowl. More importantly you are now pulling in very heated air and if your in water, vapor more so than with the stock configuration.

With the 400 you are stuck having to cut the plastic if you want to snorkle to free air which IMO is the better option. My recommendation is ask your dealer directly how they feel/handle warranty bikes with snorkles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am going to have to do this also to my new 400. I am not so concerned about hidden. Does anyone have pictures? How abouts is this done?

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome!! the pictures made it very clear and now I know exactly what to do! Thanks again, looks like a worthwile more. How deep have u got the cats with the snorks? Do you need to modify the duck bill drains any as it looks like they might allow some water in, but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scott1981 @ Mar 13 2007, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
awesome!! the pictures made it very clear and now I know exactly what to do! Thanks again, looks like a worthwile more. How deep have u got the cats with the snorks? Do you need to modify the duck bill drains any as it looks like they might allow some water in, but I could be wrong.[/b]

I have kept my boys from going deep with them, they have been at the most headlight deep. I have snorked their machines and mine mainly for protection. The duckbills can be filled with silicone to prevent water intake through those. They look pretty good on their machines so I haven't done that yet and haven't had any issues, I am however going to fill them. The one thing I really don't like about the 400 and 500 is the belt exhaust location. I have a plan to run that up front as well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rugby thanks for the quick replys and excellent info. I apprechiate your time getting it to me as it was exactly what I was looking for. I also dont plan on going deep on purpose but some of those water holes on the trail sneak up on you and I hate to have to turn around on a trail to avoid a hole that is questionable

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (topher82/05 @ Mar 14 2007, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey rugby when you snorkel the one in the pics you sent did you rejet the carb?[/b]
He used 1 1/2" fittings into the air box so rejetting was not needed. Apparently 2" or larger is what causes the issues

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (topher82/05 @ Mar 14 2007, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
so with the 2" pipe it causes it to run lean im guessing?[/b]
That is correct, I stayed with 1.5" pipe on all three machines for the carbs so that I wouldn't have to rejet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.