Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is different in the sno pro vs the reg package, also what would it cost to convert one over?(reg to sno pro)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Snopro suspension can be beat to death all day long and never bottom. Stiff as a board on the trail. Can take anything your throw at it.

Regular suspension is right in the sweet spot for trail riding and is a good all around suspension.

·
Registered
788 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cc-rider @ Feb 9 2007, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Snopro suspension can be beat to death all day long and never bottom. Stiff as a board on the trail. Can take anything your throw at it.

Regular suspension is right in the sweet spot for trail riding and is a good all around suspension.[/b]
Well, I will have to diagree with you, but i will preface that with the fact that there is no such thing as a "smooth" groomed trail where I ride, and I weigh about 190-195lbs dressed. The standard suspension is COMPLETELY inadequate for rough trails and an average sized rider IMHO. I am not sure what you weigh, but I have absolutely no problem bottoming out the sno pro suspension.

I bought a standard and really wish I would have spent the extra $ for the sno pro because it will cost you a lot more to do the swap yourself. I bought front '03 440 shocks off ebay for $150 and bought the springs pcoated red for $40. I then bought a '05 440 Cross-link rear suspension for around $400 (after getting valved for my riding style), and I replaced the rear torsions as well. The total swap was probably around $6-700.

Its perfect for me and my riding style now.

You have to make the decision based on the conditions you ride and your riding style. If you are 200lbs or more I wouldn't even consider a standard. IMHO its easier to make a stiff sled ride softer then it is to do the reverse.

my .02

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info, i knew it had something to do with the shocks, but what is the torsions? in the rear, also on some pics the front seems higher on the sno pro, now is that just from the springs or maybe longer a arms?

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Agree with sledsearcher !. I bought a Standard to find out that it didn't suit my weight as I was disappointed. I then went out and bought a Sno-Pro. It did bottom me out a few times when I hit the trails hard.

Converted my T-Cat from Standard to Sno-Pro which cost me a little over $700 which is ridiculous. Don't do it...Just a waste of money !.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought an '05 Std. and found it a little too soft. For this year I had all 4 shocks re-valved to sno pro specs, put on sno pro rear torsions & sno pro springs on the ski shocks and a heavier spring on the front center. All of this totaled just under $300 and about 2 hours of my time. It's perfect now, right in between the two but closer to the sno pro and the much more linear travel of coil over vs. air sprung, front and back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
biggjay96x i agree with cc-rider theSTANDARD is the way to go for trail riding, doesn't matter your weight. I found the SP way too stiff and the sled doesn't handle for high speed trail rides, tippy. Now if you like to jump and pound the sled in a gravel pit or something go SP. NEVER found a groomed trail that was too rough for the standard. Sp don't handle like the standard especially 05 and newer. Oh and if you are into top end the SP are about 8 mph slower too, unless they put the 1" track on.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good info guys, helped me , cuz im buying a sno pro tonight,there was a cheaper reg f-cat for 3200.00 this one is 3500.00 mint cond.pipes can reeds and clutch.now do they make "fat boy"springs, not the ones on the shocks but one the suspension,(the two on the side) cuz i m about
255 dressed, i pretty throw anything at my sled now.

·
Registered
788 Posts
At 255 the sno pro is a much better choice. The sno pro torsions are stiffer then the std torsions...If you need to go to something stiffer you may want to look at the 440 torsion spring set up.

Also, I am assuming at the price you are paying you're getting an '03. The suspension geometry is identical sno pro to standard so the handling characteristics are identical; 04+ the suspension is mounted higher in the tunnel changing the geometry (this can be easily changed if you do not like it).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah....at your weight go with the SP.

I weigh 175 lbs and maybe a bit more with all my gear. I'm not sure if my sled just got some extra stiff valving, but that sum bitch is stiff. There are times when I love it, but to be honest, 90% of my riding is regular to semi-aggressive trail riding. We like to go on long trips and when I've switched with my buds who have regular suspensions....it just feels better. In the ditches, pits and WFO through the rough trails mine is sweet....but I can't take much more that 10 minutes of that anymore anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I weigh 196 and have a 06 snopro f7 and trust me this sled is a bad ass. I bought this sled not knowing what to expect because I really wanted a zr 900 but I'm glad I ended up with the f7, this thing will do anything you want it to do, I am amazed at how the suspension soaks up the rough trails and how good this sled jumps. I would not even consider a standard suspension just get the snopro and set it on lowest spring setting and you'll be fine. Did I mention I love this sled.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sno Pro all they way man, I am 6'6 and 240lbs and I ride this thing hard, torsion spring on #2 and can count on one hand the times I have bottomed out in 2,000 miles. Plus I love the all green belly pan and fox floats are the best shock I have ever rode, the harder you ride the more they soak up. :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticBoy @ Feb 9 2007, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Agree with sledsearcher !. I bought a Standard to find out that it didn't suit my weight as I was disappointed. I then went out and bought a Sno-Pro. It did bottom me out a few times when I hit the trails hard.

Converted my T-Cat from Standard to Sno-Pro which cost me a little over $700 which is ridiculous. Don't do it...Just a waste of money !.[/b]
Yes sno pro is way to go but go out and buy a sled with it already.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts