Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
What kind of sled do you have? When was the last time you put a new belt on? when was the last time you cleaned the primary and secondary clutches? also check the track tenion. I would check these first, i'm sure someone else will chim in and give you a couple more ideas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
97 ZR580. clutch's are clean, tried new belt still the same. had my crank break before and my primary was spinning around in the tub. rebuild the engine with new crank, but thinking my primary might be messed up, what should i look for. thanks

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It could be a weak primary spring. You can take the belt off and check for stress cracks, wear, and try to push on the clutch cover to see if moves in easy.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Did you put a new spring in or take apart the secondary at all?

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Just wondering as some people don't put a twist on the cover and this is the direct result. Be sure you don't have a broken spring in one of the clutches.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the weights have some side play can they get stuck possibly, cause there seams to be some side play,

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
If the clutch hasn't be serviced in a while now would be the time to do it before something bad like injury or further repairs result. I'd pull it and look at everything. Yes the weights should have minimal movement left to right. It could be they need to have the bushings replaced in the weight arms. If left alone, they will tear up the spider rollers and egg shape the weights, notch the bolt the weight go on and this can cause them to stick at partial opening. Check to see also that the rollers roll easy in the spider. If the rollers are bad as you said I'd think it would be cheaper to buy another clutch. Uncalibrated. Buying one off e-bay usually means additional money spending that someone else didn't want to do. Most clutches are shot or close to it if not serviced when they hit around 2500 miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, the weight's bolts and bushings are all worn. So need new primary, or a rebuild right. But does it make sense that if the weights are getting stuck, it could smoke the belt, Thanks

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Not sure, but a possibility. Gonna need to fix the primary anyway, so do that first and see if it helps.

If the secondary is opening and the primary won't take up the extra slack in the belt I suppose it could smoke and have a loss of power.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
You can give these guys a call or Funoutfitters on here.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts