Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was plowing some of these huge drifts that we have in Colorado today and was working it pretty hard. At one time I could smell the belt and felt it slip a little bit. Once it cooled down it seems to be fine and doesn't slip anymore. I'm sure I didn't do it any good, but do you think belt failure is right around the corner? I don't have a spare so I'm wondering if I need one soon.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
IMO, belt failure is near once you get a burnt spot on the belt it is weakened if I were you I would get a new belt and if you dont change it be prepared to on the side of the trail, just my opinion either way good luck

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
take a ride up a straight away, do you hear any thumping or feel anything tapping? if you do it probably wore a nice gouge it the belt and if not i would at least spend the hour and take off the belt cover to inspect and while your in there tighten up the belt if it needs it (more than likely) by taking a shim out of the secondary.
there is a few good writeups around here, one is pinned to the top, that will help you throught the process.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2007 500. I've never been in to the belt before. Do I have to pull the running board or anything to get the belt cover out?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
500 with belt trouble? might have just gotten wet.
running board has to be at least loosened but off is easier. underneith cover there is a metal gasket of sorts so take it easy when pulling cover off not to break it.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (97rstd @ Dec 30 2006, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was plowing some of these huge drifts that we have in Colorado today and was working it pretty hard. At one time I could smell the belt and felt it slip a little bit. Once it cooled down it seems to be fine and doesn't slip anymore. I'm sure I didn't do it any good, but do you think belt failure is right around the corner? I don't have a spare so I'm wondering if I need one soon.[/b]
Considering you were on a slippery surface, one would think that the tires would spin before the belt would slip. Are you using chains? Could the rubber smell possibly have been from the tires spinning?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really got it smokin when I was in reverse trying to get unstuck. My tires weren't down to ground so I'm pretty sure they weren't smoking. It looked like smoke pouring out of the front of the belt cover, but that's all sealed isn't it? I worked it some more today and it did good, but whenever I trying powering out of a drift backwards is when I start smelling smoke.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (97rstd @ Dec 31 2006, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I really got it smokin when I was in reverse trying to get unstuck. My tires weren't down to ground so I'm pretty sure they weren't smoking. It looked like smoke pouring out of the front of the belt cover, but that's all sealed isn't it? I worked it some more today and it did good, but whenever I trying powering out of a drift backwards is when I start smelling smoke.[/b]
If it only happens while in reverse, is there a possibility that you're throwing snow up onto the exhaust and it's steam you're seeing and maybe smelling?

Did you try doing a high speed straight away run to detect any vibration from belt irregularities?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts