Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what the membrane part of the smart valve should look like. I think I might be looking to solve a fuel restriction problem, so I took out the pump/pick-up assembly to have a look at the smart valves. The membranes are intact, not torn, but seem to be a bit puckered outside of center ring. The center area is still taut, and if I touch the centermost part, gas leaks out of the valve, and air bubbles seep into the valve from the edges.

Not knowing what a new piece looks like, I can't determine if these are both bad (since they look the same), or is this how they should look and act?

To me, it seems as though these are a bit restrictive, but I don't know what flow they are really capable of. Any help is appreciated.

Here's a pic if it helps any

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
ok i will try to make this quick i have to go to work. Those vales from the pic dont look bad, but really matters is how they work when pulling fuel. i had to replace mine after i had a bad tank of gas and all i can figure is they had rust in the tank and the screens looked like they were tinted brown. they restricted the fuel and closed the valves part way and the pump started howling like mad i scewed up and got a new fuel pump and it ended up being the valves. Those smart valves stop water from getting to the engine, to much water it shuts off the fuel, to much crud will do the same thing. Write more later have to get the kid to the bus stop .......

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Mine looked about the same when I pulled them last summer. What I do notice is that my fuel lines are clear whereas your's look very dark.

I have "heard" of people puting a pin hole in the valve mesh. Never tried it and not interested myself, but apparantly it helped them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where could I get an old style filter? Do you mean something like a fine mesh round style? Is there an auto application that you'd recommend?

I'll try that and see if the runs better. I think I'll also drain the gas and see if any water will separate out of it, maybe the valve are working and the gas is bad.

Thanks for the help guys, let me know if you have any more ideas.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i was thinking like a cheap old style one from a 70's vintage sled(dennis kirk maybe). i would do it just for testing before i coughed up the money for new smart valves. i dont think you have to have smart valves to run its just to protect the engine from water injestion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, thanks I'll go that way. I was thinking the same, not sure if the valves were the problem, but didn't want to waste the cash on a guess.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The valves have springs in them that can weaken and suck shut after time; that is the main problem as they lay with the membrane facing down. you could remove them for troubleshooting purposes...

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts