Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 96 ZRT 600 last fall on which I rebuilt the top end. I've run about a tank through it now and have really started to get on the gas. The problem I'm having is that after slowing down to about 5 mph and then getting on the gas again it is a little sluggish and I have to wait for the power to kick in. From a dead stop it pulls hard right off the bottom.
I'm guessing it has something to do with the clutching but I'm not to familiar with sleds. I understand the clutches work but any help on where to start would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
780 Posts
How many miles on the clutch and belt? Which belt are you running? Clutch spring color (primary/secondary)? Spark plug insulator color (pics)? Just a few questions to help sort this out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sysanalyst @ Jan 25 2007, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How many miles on the clutch and belt? Which belt are you running? Clutch spring color (primary/secondary)? Spark plug insulator color (pics)? Just a few questions to help sort this out.[/b]
I knew that I'd be asked these types of questions. Right now what I know sitting at work is that it has a new comet clutch on it, a roller secondary kit with I believe a yellow spring.
I'll get more details when I get home.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Defintly check the belt for wear. On my old ZRT 800 I blew a belt one day and only had a old POS belt as a spare. I couldn't believe how bad it performed on low end with the crap belt. Try the simple/cheap things first then move onto the more serious problems. How is the jetting, possibly to rich causing it boggy and load up while not on the throttle?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK...Here we go. So what do I have going on here. Plug colour is a little on the dark side but it was fairly warm when I was out last. I'm not sure how much time is on the belt so to start I'll try a new one but the one that's on it doesn't look bad.
I'm thinking that the belt isn't coming up high enough in the secondary as I'm slowing down. Should I try to tighten the spring a notch or two?

[attachment=61838:IMG_1438.JPG][attachment=61839:IMG_1442.JPG][attachment=61840:
IMG_1443.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cattmann @ Jan 25 2007, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have and still do run 600 ZRTs and I am not familiar with that belt number you are running .[/b]
I couldn't find that number in Dayco's catalog. Guess I'll start with a new belt to rule that out.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I don't think your secondary spring is stiff enough for the roller setup. I put a roller on my 97 ZRT 600 and a cat red/white was still not enough. I was gonna give the cat green a try, but I sold the sled.

How does it run with no load on it, like on a jack stand or lift?

I would

Change the spring in your secondary to a green one.

Synch your carbs

Bypass your carb safety switches

Check your carb boots

Seal your pipes

After I went through all the above my ran like an animal, that roller setup is awesome on the trail, but it will let it shift out too fast, especially with the wrong spring.

Get a cat belt too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tek @ Jan 26 2007, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't think your secondary spring is stiff enough for the roller setup. I put a roller on my 97 ZRT 600 and a cat red/white was still not enough. I was gonna give the cat green a try, but I sold the sled.

How does it run with no load on it, like on a jack stand or lift?

I would

Change the spring in your secondary to a green one.

Synch your carbs

Bypass your carb safety switches

Check your carb boots

Seal your pipes

After I went through all the above my ran like an animal, that roller setup is awesome on the trail, but it will let it shift out too fast, especially with the wrong spring.

Get a cat belt too.[/b]

What should I be looking for with no load on it?
Also what do the carb safety switches do? How do you bypass them and how does it improve performance?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I was just wondering if the bog was in the engine or with a load on the engine.

The carb safety switches are little magnets and sensor that cut the ignition if a carb stick open.

The problem is that sometimes they cause the engine to cut out and stumble.

There is a little plug you can buy to bypass them.

My ZRT stumbled and missed until I bypassed them. I think there is a plug up by the handlebars that you plug into.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went and ordered a white and green secondary spring but now I don't think that is it. I tightened up the stock yellow spring to the last hole and it didn't want to upshift. I then went back to the center position and it was much better. I've also put a new belt on as well.
The sluggish feeling has improved a little with the new belt but it is still there. I've noticed that the primary is engaging at about 3400-3500 rpm. The manual says it should be between 4000 & 4200 rpm. I've got a red spring in the comet 108 primary what spring should I use to get my engagement rpm up to 4200? Everything else seems right. At wide open it's running about 8200rpm which is where the manual says it should be.

·
Registered
44 Posts
All zrts I have owned came with a yellow green in the primary.I remember seeing red springs in the 550 panteras around 1993- 94. Red sounds awful weak.You should find out what weights you are running also.Was the clutch set up for some other sled ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
According to Comet's application chart it is set up correctly. Red spring and A-25 weights. Anyone know how to cross reference the A-25 to an actual weight?
The chart says it should engage at 3900 rpm but it's not. Its about 3400. What can I do to get it above 4000 without messing up the top end?
Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am running a 96 ZRT6 with the Artic Cat Clutch with an HPE Orange/Green primary spring (170# preload/300# shift) and 53 gram weights. It engages like a hammer at about 5100 rpms. I have the old secondary and run the yellow spring in the third hole up there with a 59/53 helix, I don't know how that would compare to the roller setup. I am getting max rpms right at 8200 rpms. It's probably a higher engagement than you want, but you may be able to try some combinations in betweeen and find something that works.
By the way, I must give credit where credit is due, this is not my set-up. I got it from Hugh. Thanks, Hugh!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The spring in the primary needs changing . I am running 50.0 weights with a yellow green spring and its the same setup I always had in 600 zrts and it engages about 4000 to 4500 Get a yellow green spring .Its a stock spring and start there.Someone must have a spare.I beleive the stock spring in that secondary clutch was a yellow.I ran the yellow and a purple with the roller application and non roller and the sled worked awesome.On my 2001 touring it came with a red and white sec spring because it needed it for the weight.My 2002 zrt 600 also came with the red and white but I removed it because it wasn't letting it shift fast enough and I am now using a light purple one or if I had a yellow I would use it with a 57/50 helix.The light purple is just a tad stronger than the stock yellow that came in my 1997 ZRT 600

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I borrowed a purple spring from my buddy and tried it tonight. I don't think he's getting it back. What a difference. It now engages around 4300 rpm and takes off like a bat out of hell. I still notice some hesitation down low. Maybe it's int he jetting. I'm going to try dropping the needles and see if it gets better. Also thinking about a timing key.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you do the timing key, remember you should always run at least premium grade unleaded in it. I decided against the timing key since all I can buy locally is regular. I don't want to have to drive 70 miles round trip to fill up my tank lol.

·
Registered
594 Posts
X2guy glad to here your getting close .I was thinking maybe it was clutch related . My opinion is going with a clutch kit from a shop . That way all the testing has already been done . The problem with buying something you have no clue on what the previous guy did is it takes forever to unscrew what he may have screwed up . I have an EPI kit in mine , v-force reeds , 330 mains and I'm real happy with it . So let us know how it turns out .
by the way welcome call

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys for all your help and advice. This site is great!
Crofty...I'm running 360 mains and my plugs are on the dark side. Do you know what pilots your using and your needle position?
I've heard from friends that it takes a little to get the triples wound up. Am I complaining about something that is common with triples and can't do anything to fix? Basically is it normal for there to be a slight hesitation when coming out of a corner and getting back on the gas. How does yours act?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts