Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had my 400 tuned up by the dealer just before winter but the other day i opened her up and she was really doggish it had no pep. i could only get her to about 40mph what do you guys think maybe a new plug and change my oil. i have been plowing with it alot lately

·
Registered
322 Posts
hate to be a smart arse... but were u in low? did you do something to your machine while plowing? smoked a belt? need a little more info.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not sure what they do to tune it up i believe they replace the spark plug,all fluids and adjust all cables etc. i dont believe they tear into the carb. but the bike ran excellant when i got it back and that was before the winter hit. i wasnt in low lol. although i have done dummer things. i didnt smoke a belt ive been very careful plowing to make sure i dont mess up my bike. i was thinking about it last night and shes been idling a bit weird too and bogging out when i really get into it so im going to change all my fluids again just for the hell of it and replace the spark plug its cheap enough to do so why not. but this is were i think my problem is i noticed the idling issue right after i cleaned and re oiled my air filter i must have over oiled it. thats all i can think of. because i usually let my machine warm up for a while before riding and usually if its cold shell give a bit of a fuss but eventually idle perfect and be fine from then on. ever since i reoiled my filter it stalls more when cold and it stalled a few times when it was warm. thats got to be it .

·
Registered
83 Posts
I find that in real cold weather mine runs sluggish when I nail it , like it has to clean it self
then it runs strong. but it always picks up and gets to speed

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Well if you think you could have over oiled the air filter that could cause the problem, clean and oil it again, also make sure it seals up good. If the problem is still there then I would lean more towards it being carb related. Normally when a dealer does a full service (or atleast most in my area) they will clean the carb(s) and also check valve lash.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its at the dealer right now but as soon as i get it back ill take care of that and i was also thinking that ive been riding in the lakes region nh for the past few months and have been using gas from a little mom and pop gas station its probably not the best fuel. so ill probably need to run some seafoam through her too

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
You beat me to the punch...was gonna suggest the Sea Foam gig. That and your air filter, and you should hopefully be in good shape. Make sure you go a bit heavy on the sea foam/gas ratio. If you have a full tank, I'd put in about 1/2 bottle of it in there to make sure it cleans out the carb of any varnishing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts