Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what I can do this summer to maybe cure this, if there is a cure. If I am forced to run the sled for extended periods of slow speeds/low RPM's, it seems that after a while, it will spit/sputter/backfire when you try to get it to go. Once you get it to go and you get RPM's and speed up it seems to clean itself out and life is good.

Just wondering what I can do, if anything. Maybe she just doesn't like to go slow....
and i'm OK with that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Check the post at the front of this forum on ZR bogging. Sounds like the throttle safety switch. Regardless you will need to eliminate it as a source of this bogging. Post provides troubleshooting and testing as well as permanent fix options. Good luck. :chug:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll keep that in mind. It seems like it tends to start the sputtering/backfiring if i go extended periods without a chance to open it up. When i can periodically gas it and go, it's fine. Never had a problem getting it go when the chance presented itself.

I was thinking maybe I was injecting too much oil or something like that and at lower RPM's it was slowly fouling the plugs out...

Thanks!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think it is running way too rich and loading up at low speeds. My 95 Wildcat Touring would sputter at part throttle. The cure is to reduce the fuel delivery by very carefully adjusting the TPS sensor. The one you are never suppose to touch.

You solder a pair of wires to the common and wiper of the TPS potentiometer wires. You measure this with a good digital meter while the key is on and the machine is not running. At wide open it will be close to 4 volts and at idle around .65 volts. Now you loosen the mounting screws and adjust the TPS until the voltage on your meter falls 0.010 volts (10 milivolts). Lock it down and test the machine. This is like installing smaller jets or droping the needle. Keep doing this 10 mV at a time and you will hear the engine clean up and run smoother. CHeck the plugs and piston wash just as you would with a carbed engine. You will save gas big time too.

BP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts