Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got my '05 F5 last year I noticed the slow idle and off idle bog problem when the sled took a hard hit. Now it just seems to do it at more random times to the point of almost stalling and it is geting annoying. I have heard of fast idle problems but not slow. I finally got to ride my sled for the first time this season to day and it seemed to do it all the time towards the end. I would like to try and get this fixed before I take it up north this weekend. Oh and it only does the bog when it idles slow. Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yours is a carb i assume so there is a idle screw on your carb. It adjusts how fast it idles. I dont know which way to turn it to make it faster cuz ive never had to adjust one before. So someone else will have to say how to do that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes all F5s are carbs, but it does not idle slowly all the time so I don't think it is a idle speed adjustment issue.

·
Registered
703 Posts
if it is cold, it will take some time to warm up the sled. If the sled isn't warm the idle will be inconsistant and will drop. To me, it sounds like its jetted a little high and loads up on fuel at idle

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It Idles slow when the sled is fully warmed up so it's not because it's cold. I have a set of 350 jets to drop in I just want to see what the plugs look like after running my new 2.5 timeing key before I drop them in. The plugs were black before I but in the timeing key.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
1. Check idle speed screw....screw it in.

2. Check to make sure throttle opens the carbs 100%. The operating arm will just BARELY touch the set screw if correct.

3. Check oil ratio.

4. Set fuel screw to 1 turn out.

5. Set air screw to 1.5 turns out.

6. Install key.

7. Hang on tight.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tryed to change the jets this afternoon and I can't figure out how to get the carbs out. I removed the the hood, airbox, and pipe but still not sure how to get the carbs out. Anybody got any tips?

·
Registered
193 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Martin @ Jan 17 2007, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I tryed to change the jets this afternoon and I can't figure out how to get the carbs out. I removed the the hood, airbox, and pipe but still not sure how to get the carbs out. Anybody got any tips?[/b]
You can either change jets from below - Remove skid plate

Removing the carbs on the 05 F5 is a pain in the ass - The rubber intake boots between carbs and airbox is very very hard or stiff compared to the 03 F5s

The rubber on the 03F5s was very plyable and easy to get out of the way - You could slide the carbs out

On the 05 F5 remove airbox - Pretty basic - Slide that square rubber intake boot towards front of sled , were the airbox was fitted , thus giving you room to slide carbs out

Scott

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You must really have to pull on it. When I tried before I could only get it to move 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tryed the 350 main jets today. The sled ran way to lean the plugs were white so put the 360s back in. Now that we have some snow I noticed when I open the sled up across the field I can only get 70mph out of it. I fixed the spring bind issue on the primary clutch with some extra clearance cut in around the spring cups and I removed one thick and one thin washer from behind the secondary. I thought that might help my top speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts