Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We buy a great running 1991 El Tigre. Hubby tows grandkids around the farm all day. Then takes it up north and runs it 5 miles. Its running great. My brother and I go up, he rides it a little up and down the road, hot rods it some and then we take off down the trails. It dies on him. No spitting or sputtering...just stops. He can't get it started until it sits for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. We do this quite a bit and finally get back home to our cabin.

Hubby goes thru the whole fuel system but nothing helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does the headlight slowly go dim when it dies?

If it's a key switch etc. I think the light would go right out. Not sure on your model.
If it's a ignition coil, and the exciter coil is good the light would slowly go dim
as the engine dropped to 0 rpm.

Clean the grounding mounts on the secondary coil too.
They can get rusty and split the layers apart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had to come home from the cabin so we dropped it off at the dealer in St. Helen, Mi with the instructions to just diagnose it for now. Hubby is an aircraft mechanic so he can do most of the work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
El Tigre quits

We packed up to come home for the summer but before we did that hubby found out the the oil tank was half full of ice. We think old owner got it from an auction, which means someone before that probably had it sitting outside, torn apart and it got water in there.

So hubby thinks that after running for a little while, that it gets hot and triggers a heat sensor (I think thats what he said). So letting it sit for a minute or two, the sensor cools off and it starts.

We will know more when we go up to our cabin this summer and he starts working on it. Its too bad because it was a great running machine when it ran.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maybe but it sounds more like a stator issue to me. I have a first year 92 550 EFI that did the same thing. Stator. Well known issue for 530/550 motors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
U won't believe what this turned out to be. It had leaves and a big ice cube in the oil tank. When we bought it from a private person, my hubbymadr the remark that it loomed like it had gone thru an auction. It must have sat around outside, all torn apart where eater and leaves got in the oil tank.

Now if we cold figure out why the other 1991 el Tigres keeps quitting too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts