Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 M5 just doesn't have the power that I'm looking for, so My 12 year old wants it. But I'm not sure about it, he's been on a 340 for the last 4years and he's preety good, but is it to much of jump. As you can see he's tall so the sled fits him well, I'm just worried about the power difference any suggestions anyone.

[attachment=62125:quenny2.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your sig says sled safety instructor. If your any good at that, he's in fine hands on that M5! Gotta kick em out of the nest sometime!

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radissimo @ Jan 28 2007, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Your sig says sled safety instructor. If your any good at that, he's in fine hands on that M5! Gotta kick em out of the nest sometime![/b]

yes, but he also rides with his friends where I'm not always there thats what I'm worried about with me around I know he can handle it because he won't act up but you know how kids are when Dads not around. thats what I'm worried about

·
Registered
316 Posts
just ride with him the first few times. when he first starts out is when you should be worried. riding bikes i started with a old 198? rm60, then went to a 2003 klx125l. i spent only one season on both bikes then i bought a cr250r. it was a big jump to go from a bike with 7hp and weighed 173lbs to a bike with 30hp and weighs in at 218lbs and sits 6in. higher. just take it easy the first few times and he will be fine :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,153 Posts
I would have to say this, not sure how old he is but by the looks on the ground and you not having any of the nice white stuff we have over here, you should not be a worrying about the increase in power coming from the 340 to the F5 slaphappy Hopefully next winter you should receive some white gold and he should be another year older and ready for the jump in cc's.

BTW Dadszr we are getting snow right now :moon:

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dadszr @ Jan 28 2007, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radissimo @ Jan 28 2007, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your sig says sled safety instructor. If your any good at that, he's in fine hands on that M5! Gotta kick em out of the nest sometime![/b]

yes, but he also rides with his friends where I'm not always there thats what I'm worried about with me around I know he can handle it because he won't act up but you know how kids are when Dads not around. thats what I'm worried about
[/b][/quote]
:thumbsup: He'll be just fine, you go out with him the first couple of times and should be no worries, congrats on the moderator, when did that happen, I seem to be missing a lot here as of late.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drag-On-Lady @ Jan 28 2007, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would have to say this, not sure how old he is but by the looks on the ground and you not having any of the nice white stuff we have over here, you should not be a worrying about the increase in power coming from the 340 to the F5 slaphappy Hopefully next winter you should receive some white gold and he should be another year older and ready for the jump in cc's.

BTW Dadszr we are getting snow right now :moon:[/b]

hey as for the snow just because we raise chickens and you raise penguins doesn't give you the right to bust me .........LOL no actually we were thinking of going up in potter county if they have anything I'm not sure on what they have from all these litte bans that have came through we here at the house have about an inch

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogthehunter @ Jan 28 2007, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dadszr @ Jan 28 2007, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radissimo @ Jan 28 2007, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
:thumbsup: He'll be just fine, you go out with him the first couple of times and should be no worries, congrats on the moderator, when did that happen, I seem to be missing a lot here as of late.
[/b][/quote]

thanks friday, and I was going to take him for awhile to make sure he's all right with it I left him take it out across the yard and I thought he would have to change his shorts when he can back. to me so he will most definitly recspect. for awhile anyway

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dadszr @ Jan 28 2007, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
thanks friday, and I was going to take him for awhile to make sure he's all right with it I left him take it out across the yard and I thought he would have to change his shorts when he can back. to me so he will most definitly recspect. for awhile anyway[/b]
:lol: sounds like everything is gonna be just fine!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Maybe keep the 340 while hes riding with the friends and the M5 for when hes with you. Atleast for this year maybe into next year also.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (strangeland2 @ Jan 28 2007, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Maybe keep the 340 while hes riding with the friends and the M5 for when hes with you. Atleast for this year maybe into next year also.[/b]

yeah I'm keeping the 340 I've been getting my daughter started on that from her 120, she did good last year but she was to short in the legs. hopefuly this year she will do better the tunnel and seat were to wide for her last year.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Think its a big step but if you teach him right he should be okay. The fact that its a mountain machine makes me weary though. Young guys have a tendency to ride past their limits when it comes time to play in the powder and hills. But it comes back to if you set him straight and he understands the possible dangers. Tough one.

Good Luck

R

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RowdyRoddy @ Jan 28 2007, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Think its a big step but if you teach him right he should be okay. The fact that its a mountain machine makes me weary though. Young guys have a tendency to ride past their limits when it comes time to play in the powder and hills. But it comes back to if you set him straight and he understands the possible dangers. Tough one.

Good Luck

R[/b]

so far he hasn't did that( Thank the good Lord) I put him on my ZRT last year and he burn the belt being scared of it. so hopefuly this will be ok for him. I've tried to teach him most things but like I say in my classes I can tell you and show you but you have to learn on your own and that will come with experience.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I started on a 550 LC and went to a 600. I haven't done anything stupid on it, and alot of younger people can handle sleds with peers being responsible and safe. I'd say its a prefect choice.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It's only 84 HP with a mountain track/ chassis, so I'm sure top speed is not that big. The kid looks big enough to handle it. I'd say go for it.... but maybe consider putting the wider front suspension from a CF/F so it isn't as tippy, unless you guys only do mountain riding....... my2cents

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f5firecat @ Jan 28 2007, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's only 84 HP with a mountain track/ chassis, so I'm sure top speed is not that big. The kid looks big enough to handle it. I'd say go for it.... but maybe consider putting the wider front suspension from a CF/F so it isn't as tippy, unless you guys only do mountain riding....... my2cents[/b]

nope most of our riding is groomed triials or corn fields ( fram land )

·
Registered
747 Posts
Then I'd say Git-R-Done, but you already knew that- you just wanted to hear it from some of us!!!! :thumbsup: :D

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f5firecat @ Jan 28 2007, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Then I'd say Git-R-Done, but you already knew that- you just wanted to hear it from some of us!!!![/b]

pretty much......just wanted to see what others thought. My 14 year old everytime he gets one a sled he crashes but he has that screw you I can handle it atl. and won't listen when we try to tell him or show him something and wipes out every year luckly he's never been hurt but I'm tierd of fixing them.

·
Registered
747 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dadszr @ Jan 28 2007, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f5firecat @ Jan 28 2007, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then I'd say Git-R-Done, but you already knew that- you just wanted to hear it from some of us!!!![/b]

pretty much......just wanted to see what others thought. My 14 year old everytime he gets one a sled he crashes but he has that screw you I can handle it atl. and won't listen when we try to tell him or show him something and wipes out every year luckly he's never been hurt but I'm tierd of fixing them.
[/b][/quote]
Ultimately, only YOU know your children; some are ready to advance and some just wreck everything in sight. If they feel some sort of pain ($ or having to fix their slled when their friends are riding, etc.), then I think they learn to have some respect for the machines AND the dads who make it all happen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts