Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey men, I've got the rear skid frame out of my 98 ZR 600 EFI because the right side rail was broken in half. The sled came from Alaska and someone has converted it to a long track, i figure the rails couldnt take the stress of the longer track and the tunnel has been a little distorted as well. To make room for the two inch paddles, brackets were attached to the under side of the running boards. This has caused the running boards to flex a little because it was not built to handle the pressure. Anyways, once I got the skid frame out I inspected it and found that my top right idle wheel is not turning because it is rubbing on the suspension spring. Pretty sure the idler arm is bent down causing no clearence between the wheel and the spring. Just wondering if anyone can tell me how much tension is on those springs and how to I go about removing them? Is there anything else I should be aware of while dismantling the skid frame to change the rail? Are there any torque specs I need to fallow or order of assembly?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Z96 @ Dec 19 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey men, I've got the rear skid frame out of my 98 ZR 600 EFI because the right side rail was broken in half. The sled came from Alaska and someone has converted it to a long track, i figure the rails couldnt take the stress of the longer track and the tunnel has been a little distorted as well. To make room for the two inch paddles, brackets were attached to the under side of the running boards. This has caused the running boards to flex a little because it was not built to handle the pressure. Anyways, once I got the skid frame out I inspected it and found that my top right idle wheel is not turning because it is rubbing on the suspension spring. Pretty sure the idler arm is bent down causing no clearence between the wheel and the spring. Just wondering if anyone can tell me how much tension is on those springs and how to I go about removing them? Is there anything else I should be aware of while dismantling the skid frame to change the rail? Are there any torque specs I need to fallow or order of assembly?[/b]
At the end of the springs there is a black plastic part that looks like a triangle. It is to adjust the spring pressure. If the middle of it is wore out, they make the springs tilt out towards the wheels. They sell aftermarket upgraded ones made out of metal or alum. My guess is that they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That very well could be because those pieces on both sides are pretty much blown to smitherines. I planned on replacing them while I had the skid frame out. Any other input guys?

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Z96 @ Dec 19 2009, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just wondering if anyone can tell me how much tension is on those springs and how to I go about removing them?[/b]

Just rebuilt the skid in my 99 Zl 440 today, The easiest way I have found to get the springs out or off is with the skid out have it laying on the edge of a work bench or something in that nature and then put them in the lowest setting then pull up on the spring to remove the tension and then you can pull them out of the bracket mounted on the rail just don't let go to fast, but it can be done with one arm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts