Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke one of mine and was wondering does it really matter if you have them at all? From my experiences with it off it doesn't make a difference but has anyone ridden for a long time with them off? Of course mine are the plastic skis but they seem to keep their position well without the "support" but is it really doing anything to help it? From my thinking it just seems like something to grab on to, and it makes them not look weird. What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Derek

[attachment=142579:122009_1930_01_.jpg] [attachment=142580:122009_1930_00_.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you can see from the pictures I broke one of mine and am not sure it will ever be strong enough to ever tug on it again. I will try putting washers in the inside and purple duct tape on outside of it, hopefully that will help it but I think its a goner. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
21,410 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Delow @ Dec 22 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I broke one of mine and was wondering does it really matter if you have them at all? From my experiences with it off it doesn't make a difference but has anyone ridden for a long time with them off? Of course mine are the plastic skis but they seem to keep their position well without the "support" but is it really doing anything to help it? From my thinking it just seems like something to grab on to, and it makes them not look weird. What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Derek

[attachment=142579:122009_1930_01_.jpg] [attachment=142580:122009_1930_00_.jpg][/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wayne from Pontypool @ Dec 22 2009, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The do absolutely nothing and are not need .... until you get stuck
[/b]
When I was racing back in the 70's I saw a guy fall off his sled and get stuck in the chest by a ski! Many racers suffered the same injury back then! A few years later the ski supports evolved from pointed ones to round loops. Arctic Cat, I believe always had loops. Alot of snowmobiles back then had pointed ski supports.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it looks really weird without it on the one side but I am not sure where I am going to get a purple one. Kinda out of luck there. They are a extremely rare find IMO.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 1 good one lol! but I am working on getting at least one. I just know that if I try to put the super glued one back on it, that it will fail before I can leave the shed.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
amchose, where in Iowa are you from? You must be from southern Iowa because we don't have that much in powder up here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Central Iowa...I found a ditch that had some reeds in it and were completely covered by snow, the ditch turned out to be really deep.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha well that kinda sucks lol! guessing you have the standard, suckish, 121" track?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep, it's a 121 right now...If I had known it was what is was I could have made it through, just caught me by surprise. I'll be back there to get my revenge!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha yeah I had the same thing happen to me but in 3 foot of powder. I didn't think it was that deep and went pretty slow through it. Just buried it, well my front end was about 2 or 3 feet higher then the back lol! I was hung up; my track had traction but just could get it moving. Ended up making it down to the ground haha!

·
Registered
282 Posts
SUPER GLUE/DUCT TAPE>>>>>>LOL............... Find some ski loops.... they do ad rigidity through stutters/whoops in corners, Yes they were designed when all skis were steel for safety reasons, (T Boning your buddy in front of you, Or another racer) But do ad stability to your ski in different applications.......

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I see your point and hope to get new/used purple ones soon. So far I have ridden about 10-15 miles without it on the right side and it runs just the same! Just looks extremely funny without it!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know they suck badly! But they are "better" then steel ones. Not when you are stuck and tugging on them in 0 degree weather but the sorta seem better otherwise. I honestly don't know why mine broke. It was 30+ degrees out and I didn't even touch them! Spontaneous breakage lol?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts