Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loaned my sled out..and got it back with a ski messed up. With the handle bars straight the left ski is straight and the right ski is at about a 45 degree angle towards the left ski. I looked at adjusting all the tie rods and etc.. to counter act it and I can get them straight but its still not right...it just doesnt seem to turn as well as it did. The A-arms are all straight and look good...what else would cause one ski to twist so much? another thing is how much freeplay should I have in my skis...it seems like way to much, if the skis are off the ground they can go back and forth atleast 1/4 inch freely without the other moving or the bars. Maybe bad ball joints? For the record this is a 1998 ext 600 tripple and its got 7500 miles on the chassis so im sure there are some worn out parts up there in the steering.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You may want to flip it up on its side and take the belly pan off. Torx screws hold it on. Look to see if and steering parts are broke. If the ski is shifting side to side, it may need to be tightend where the bolt slides thru to mount it. If its toe in or out, Its prob somthing in the steering rack its self. How do you know if the arms are not bent? Its hard to tell w/ out taking them off and matching them up to the other side. If its not the steering rack, its bent a arms. Call the person who borrowed it and ask what they hit, and will they help pull it apart and pay for the part/parts. That sounds like a shady person if they wont.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah he said hed help...it was my brother..he was out riding for the first time. He said he was crossing over rail road tracks with the bars turned fully to the left and the skag must have caught and just tweaked it all. I guess it could be A-arms but for the ski to be twisted in as far as it was I can't believe i wouldnt notice a bend to it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dkgenerallee @ Dec 21 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah he said hed help...it was my brother..he was out riding for the first time. He said he was crossing over rail road tracks with the bars turned fully to the left and the skag must have caught and just tweaked it all. I guess it could be A-arms but for the ski to be twisted in as far as it was I can't believe i wouldnt notice a bend to it.[/b]
You may have got lucky and its just the steering post is out of wack. Check that first. You may have to pull the air box out to get a good look at it. Its cast alum parts and they can break. I had a sled that did the same thing. Where the two alum. plates meet up on the steering shaft, one of the bolts broke thru the hole and one was still attached. So it did turn one way, and the other way about half. Good thing it was your bro and hes going to help.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, see that sounds more like my problem..I corrected the problem by threaded out the tie rods and all that to finish up a ride...and it drives..but turning right just isnt as good as left..its stiffer and also the bars dont go as far as they should so i lose some of the turning radias. Not to mention the alignment sucks too as the thing darts all over..its just a whole mess and loose front end...Ill take that apart tonight after work and see what she looks like. Gotta get ready...big storm coming xmas day here! :super_happy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts