Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the scoop, was riding yesterday, we rode 80 miles or so, then stopped for gas, left the station rode maybe 2 miles or so then jumped on snow covered ice, couple of inches of snow on it, we are cruising along between 70-80 and after about 5 miles or so the old ZR siezes up. Everyone says that it is running rich, so I am thinking maybe a coolant issue or maybe even an oil issue. I have had no problems when its held open for short periods, but longer pulls and she siezes up. Its the PTO side piston.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
IMO opinion it looks lean according to the plugs, but others have said that looking at the top of the piston it looks like its running rich.

·
Registered
199 Posts
by looking at that piston you are pretty much washed clean,lots of fuel,but those plugs tell a different story,you could be too lean on the needle and when coming off the mains into the needle you locked up,if you over heated it should have puked out the overflow and you would see,smell it,

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
It would be nice ot see more of the pistons and cylinders. You could have very easily pick up some water at your fuel stop. Both the plugs look ghostly, but did only one side seize and lose compression? If the carbs are still at outside temps, frozen, take a look at the fuel in the float bowl. I melted a piston after picking up some watery fuel and found ice pellets. little B-B's of ice in the float bowl. Because both plugs are showing lean I'd look to water in the fuel system.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to go out now and pull the cylinder and piston, only one side went down, from looking into the y pipe it looks like it was a 4 corner siezure. Not sure why the plugs look lean but the piston top doesn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.