Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Torn everything down, then touched up the ceiling with paint. Snapped a chalk line and used the supplied holders and screws. EZ job. here there are at amazon. [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076B96TZ6/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
8,307 Posts
@tiggershark, I like the simple setup with those lights. I had never seen that style. They would make a nice easy retrofit.

@wfburton159, Nice hangout. I was thinking man cave and realized that is they kind of place I would hang out most of the time. :biggrin_old:

·
Administrator
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Estimated life of those is 55,000 hours, I think. i will try to get an answer to this

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
@tigger
Do you like the light output ?

·
Administrator
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh yeah, it changed the color of my walls and ceiling to pure white instead the yellowish white from the old fluorescent bulbs ( T-12) With the included pigtail wires, you can install them at an angle from each other. You could install them in a 9 foot square ( with 4 light sticks) if you wanted to. Operating range is -25F and up, so no more waiting for the mancave to warm up to get bright lights. No more ballasts to replace. No buzzing sounds. And they are tough. First one I put up to test and over night it fell off the ceiling. 12 foot crash on the floor and when plugged back in, it still worked. The included snap brackets are cheap, so I added a little construction adhesive to each one, so in a sense i glued them up as a little added insurance. Not that big of a deal. The are made from aluminum and are about the size of a regular 8 foot bulb/tube.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Made a mess in mine !

·
Registered
8,527 Posts

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Good eye!

·
Super Moderator
8,307 Posts
Lighting upgrade

I took inspiration from @tiggershark, and started to upgrade my shop/mancave lights. Flat panel systems are clean looking, but pricey. Plus, I already had 4' fluorescent fixtures with pretty good coverage. Some ballasts were getting weak and quite a few bulbs also fading. I had wanted to go with LED for awhile and watched pricing. The options have changed a lot over the years. They are still changing.

The whole market around LED is not exactly consumer friendly. It helps to do some research about the options. Light color and output are the basics. Then, I got into the retrofit options. There are quite a few options for replacing the fluorescent bulbs. (Type A, B, or C) Hybrid fit is pretty easy. I chose not to go that direction because I wanted to get rid of ballasts that were already failing, or likely to fail soon. I also wanted to eliminate the power draw of the ballasts. Then, you get into the tombstone options, shunted or nonshunted. There are the choices with dual or single ended power. Later products also have variable color options and dimming to select. The information isn't hard to digest after gaining a little knowledge. It just took a little time to learn.

I ended up doing a color match retrofit so I could replace the old fixtures as they failed. It has turned out nice. I found LED bulbs that have slightly higher lumen output than the old bulbs. Bonus! The color match was worth the effort for me. I didn't end up replacing all the lights. I was able to just replace sections with bad bulbs and ballasts.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Nice !! Can you post some pics?

·
Super Moderator
8,307 Posts
LED Color

Sorta get the idea.
I fight with the low ceiling height in this workspace. I had the old fluorescent fixtures semi recessed to give more clearance while still allowing a full light spread. The furthest four fixtures are the new LED while the rest are still fluorescent fixtures.
20190331_112854.jpg

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Very nice!! I like your bench

·
Registered
493 Posts
I don't have any current pics of my shop and only have a few I had to copy from another forum that I'm a member of. My last lap top crapped out and I lost a lot of pics,yeah I know no backup. :sad

Anyway here's a few when it was built in 2008 30x40 man cave, now home to the Cat. I wish now I'd made it 30x50.

Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Here's a few more. 12ft roll up front doors 10' rear roll up door 36" walk in with 14ft walls.

Tony

Attachments

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
10 Participants
T.Ray
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing