Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new or slightly used most dependable prowler. I like the 700xtx , browsing thru the repair forum it appears the 550 has the least amount of issues. Would this be due to amount of 550"s sold compaired to other engine sizes??? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx excitted

·
Administrator
8,015 Posts
I would think the 550 would be under powered, at least for me it would be.
The 700 engine is a torquey one and has been a good power plant. I'd go 1000 first, 2nd 700.
But thats just me.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I would say if price is an issue, and you dont plan on towing a lot, i would think the 550 would be fine. I personally have a 550 atv and it pulls just fine, but not sure of prowler. It really depends what you want to do, load it full and do trails all day at 50 mph than get a 700 or 1000, but useing it to haul 2 fellas and chainsaws and whatnot to cut wood, you would be fine i believe.even hauling a trailer or splitter. To put it in truck talk, you want a 305, 350 or 454, all will get the job done.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The prowlers IMO, are a solid unit if left stock. If you start adding lifts and big mud tires then the older ones especially have had issues. I had a stock 07 650 and now a 2012 HDX 700. The 650 was good but the HDX is no comparison. It rides smother, has more power, is quieter, and with the power steering it turns and handles better. If I were looking for another I think a 2011 or new xtx 700 or 2012 or newer HDX would be on the top of my list. The new cage is defiantly better looking and more functional than the old square cage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts