Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat leans. It has for some time 3/8" or so. Others have noticed the same issue.

But it looks worse now for some reason.

My rear springs were sagging a bit, so I replaced all of them (HL yellow ones) thinking it would remove some of it.

When doing the springs, the front shocks were weeping a little. Not a lot but you could see some oil. I also installed WYO's bushings so they are brand new.

So, can a bad shock effect the lean?

It seems like I can sit on the quad, then jump off and pull the front corner up at least a 1" to level it out. I thought the new springs would help or eliminate this. Maybe they did a bit , but there is still an issue somewhere.

I'll try and get a pic later.

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Take the front & rear springs off, and compare unsprung lengths.

Springs carry the weight, not the shocks. High pressure shocks can & will carry a little bit of weight, but these stock shocks are just plain old oil dampened shocks... Nothing fancy.

On my sled, I twisted the sway bar... It caused a bit of a lean. I wasn't sure, so I elevated the bellypan, and sure enough, one ski extended further than the other.

As for the ATV... Without a swaybar and if the frame is true and nothing's bent, it's gotta be the springs. I'm also wondering about the actual spring tensions (when compressed by weight - ride sag), if they're close to being exactly the same or not.

You would think with today's metalurgy technologies, they should be pretty consistent from spring to spring. But it is possible.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thats kind of what I figured. They're brand new springs, not even a ride yet. When I put a ride on I will see if it settles out a bit.

I did dump it a long time a go, I measured everything then, thats when it was about 3/8" difference. Which other guys were noticing on theirs too. So it seemed normal. But now even before I swapped to new springs, it appears worse.

Maybe it's an illusion. I know my rack is bent down a little, but why the extra play I wonder?

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Use a 4' level to find a perfectly flat and level area of your garage. Roll the machine over to the exact place you confirmed was level. Check the tire pressure in each tire and look for anything that could be on the tire to effect it's profile. If your racks are mounted correctly level on the machine, put the level across the front rack and take a reading. Take a reading off of the back of the machine. Compare readings. If everything is as it should be and your machine is in fact leaning, it would likely be an issue with the length of the spring in the corner where the machine is leaning. Get a measuring tape out and measure your spring lengths and ensure they are properly seated. If they are all OK, look at your shock mounts to ensure you don't have a problem with one of them. It's basically a process of elimination. Using a level is a must. Sometimes, eyeballing can suspect a problem but in reality, there may not be one. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can check your tire pressure but that does not mean each tire will take the same amount of air for them to be level with each other. I learned this the hard way. Also get yourself a good digital tire gauge, the cheap ones under the seat are garbage. I checked my pressure with the cheap tire gauge and they were both reading 5 PSI. I then tried a digital one and one tire had 2.5PSI and the other had 3.8PSI. So do not rely on the stock tire gauge. Mine had the illusion of leaning and that is how I learned about the proper tire pressure. Start with the simple things. Just my .02 cents worth.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SO I cranked the suspension and made sure th etires were good. With the springs on the stiffest, the lean is back more to normal levels, minimal 3/8" or so, I measured the floor boards and they are pretty close to each other. But if I measure the plastic, it is over an inch difference. So my plastic is buggered kind of. I think it is the front rack pushing it down.

So when I have time, I will pull the rack and see where the plastic sits. If that's the cause I will probably buy a non mrp rack for it. I don't use the accessories anyway.

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
If you get a new rack let me know i want a mrp one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts