Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love riding my 2014 AC 550 TRV LTD.
Im looking for advice because i would consider upgrading shocks - if its worth it.
Would an upgrade make an appreciated difference in my riding comfort and performance?
Your reply’s are appreciated!
Iceholz

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also should have asked ....
what do you recommend and what such upgrade would cost ?

Completely appreciated !

·
Administrator
37,499 Posts
Well they are not cheap, but I run Elka stage 4 on all 4 corners. The difference in ride and handling is night and day. The first words out of my mouth were “ holy $hit”!!!

Reactions: mrbb

·
Administrator
37,499 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well they are not cheap, but I run Elka stage 4 on all 4 corners. The difference in ride and handling is night and day. The first words out of my mouth were “ holy $hit”!!!
Thanks for your reply......What were the changes you noticed?????

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
it might come sown to your riding style here,a s NOT everyone rides the same speeds or like conditions
and once you know what type of riding you do, then you can have a better shot at getting the better shocks to fit them needs

as an example, if you slow ride easy trails and want a smooth soft ride,
your not going to want shocks set up for FAST aggressive trail riding!
they will be way too stiff for your liking
if you follow me,
but the simple name of the game in GOOD up graded shocks, is, GOOD one's cost money, and when spending that $$, you have to know what you want, or you can be wasting $$
GOOD shock company's should always talk with you before buying, so you GET what your hoping for,m many times they will BUILD you shocks based on what size YOU are, the exact make and model atv and again the riding conditions and speeds you want better handling and ride from!
over my life time I spent tens of thousands on shocks, froim racing MX bikes, and of road trucks to monster trucks, , NO one shock fits all and when buying upgraded shock, the better info you give to shock maker the better the odds are you will end up happy with your money spent! , other wise you can spend a lot of $$ and be just as unhappy or worse!

I fully agree that the Elka's are good shocks, and they offer many levels of upgrades , so again, I would suggest evaluation your riding style and what you want , then contact them and TALK to one of there experts there, or some other high end shock maker!
spend your money wisely the first time, is better than buying and having remorse or learning the hard way!

and also keep in mind, GOOD shocks need to be rebuilt now and then, so more added costs every so often, , there not buy once and done deals!

·
Administrator
37,499 Posts
^^^^ maintenance , seal changes and oil alone can cost $150 per shock.
They have so many finite adjustments for compression and rebound you can set them up to your riding style. You can even give yourself 2” of lift if you want.
The biggest differences I noticed were how responsive it was when turning. Secondly , you just float over bumps.
I actually got them so my wife, who is not well, will continue to ride as long as she can. I set it up so she has a very cushy ride. I really doubt She would still be riding without them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
....the better info you give to shock maker the better the odds are you will end up happy with your money spent! , other wise you can spend a lot of $$ and be just as unhappy or worse!

I fully agree that the Elka's are good shocks, and they offer many levels of upgrades , so again, I would suggest evaluation your riding style and what you want , then contact them and TALK to one of there experts there, or some other high end shock maker!
spend your money wisely the first time, is better than buying and having remorse or learning the hard way!

and also keep in mind, GOOD shocks need to be rebuilt now and then, so more added costs every so often, , there not buy once and done deals!
Thank you very much for taking time to give me your best advice here.
I feel better prepared and further interested.
Thumbs way up

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They have so many finite adjustments for compression and rebound you can set them up to your riding style.
The biggest differences I noticed were how responsive it was when turning. Secondly , you just float over bumps.
Thankyou for your feedback.
I know we own the same machines so knowing your changes post upgrade is important for me-to understand.
Realizing a shock swap can make a significant and satisfying change, encourages me to learn more.
Im glad i asked the questions.

When i travel across the frozen lakes during Jan feb mar, the changing lake ice and snow conditions gives the winter rides both jarring and a lofty feeling. The jagged ice surfaces pound the machine, then the snow layers that have been wind packed feel incredibly soft during travel.
The contrasting conditions made me wonder if the right suspension could create that lofty snow riding.
I traveled almost 300 kms on the ice last season and im NOT going slow most days. Im in a hurry each morning!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
just to add this, , as I am not sure what tires your running, but adding or going to radial tires over Bias ply tires will also get you a much better ride, even adjusting air pressure can help too to a point!

and if your serious about upgrading shocks, I would honestly recommend talking to a tech at Elka, they have a LOT of experience and when your buying top end shocks, you will get attention from them and GOOD customer support, knowing your willing to spend some cash, they like happy customers, as word of mount makes sales for them!
just when ever they talk about how long things last and or time between rebuild, maybe take some with a grain of salt, I have had some techs try and tell me things needed MUCH more often than they do, and also the other way and then things wear and your unhappy!

but having things set up to YOUR style can make a huge difference over just a one size fits all set up!
your paying for custom shocks more or less, might as well have the set up for YOU!
there is also I would think a LOT of videos on youtube talking and explaining better shocks and suspensions, to help you learn about things too, if you care to!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just to add this, , as I am not sure what tires your running, but adding or going to radial tires over Bias ply tires will also get you a much better ride, even adjusting air pressure can help too to a point!
Thanks for adding.
Yes i ride on radial tires. Maxxis Bighorns.
ive spent the time to find my best performance tire pressures based on grip, roll over and rough terrain.

A few years ago I successfully adjusted the stock suspension following the excellent info pinned on the forum here. (big thanks for the pin !). Now im glad to have your input and learn more.

Thanks again eh!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for adding.
Yes i ride on radial tires. Maxxis Bighorns.
ive spent the time to find my best performance tire pressures based on grip, roll over and rough terrain.

A few years ago I successfully adjusted the stock suspension following the excellent info pinned on the forum here. (big thanks for the pin !). Now im glad to have your input and learn more.

Thanks again eh!
What pressure do you run?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
37,499 Posts
For an 400 mile a year rider, How often would this maintenance be needed?
It all goes back to how hard you use them. Elka will be able to give you an idea. 1800k on mine and still performing excellent.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
As you ride on ice a lot, I'd suggest you try "Grip Studs" vs tire chains. No change on the ride, but they give great traction. You screw them in and leave in year round. Of course they are a bit aggressive on asphalt or concrete. One place that I ride, ice runs down the side of a mountain, without Grip Studs, I'd slide off the trail into the woods. Looks like you have fun with your Cat!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What pressure do you run?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I did my tire ‘roll over and traction’ evaluation while riding on summer asphalt and the overal ride and comfort off road (asphalt). I started high and repeated each manoeuvre while i dropped one psi at a time. The sweet spot revealed itself more clearly than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised to find it so easily. I based my tire pressure on my own needs and my own preferences. While moving slowly I turned sharply and pushed the tires and the machine ‘to the literal’ tipping point which easily revealed traction and tire roll. This is difficult with radial tires (maxxis bighorns) because of the rigid sidewall construction.
I happily settled on 7 psi all around for best performance and will drop to 5 for trail ride comfort with no tire problems.

I broke a bead on a trailer tire while traveling in to the hunt - a horrible situation caused by low tire pressure.

Fyi - Radials and bias ply tires are night and day different performers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As you ride on ice a lot, I'd suggest you try "Grip Studs" vs tire chains. No change on the ride, but they give great traction. You screw them in and leave in year round. Of course they are a bit aggressive on asphalt or concrete.

Looks like you have fun with your Cat!
Agreed - the tire studs are quite damaging to asphalt and concrete ! I was surprised to find out the hard way.

I run ice screws into my front tires for the entire winter. I would not travel anywhere far without them installed. Steering the ATV while travelling over frozen water is futile without ice studs. I watch the other guys spin and flounder there day away and laugh. To their surprise Its a cheap and fast remedy.

I use tire screws modelled after the ones that are used up here in Canada. We have a longer winter and still want things to do so, combine track racing with long winter and you get racing screws for tires to grip the ice track (think frozen lake)

The ice screws will chew asphalt, scour concrete garage floors and shred wooden trailer flooring! My trailer flooring is rubber. Problem solved and the freezing water that melts off the machine is never a problem that a stomp and a broom cant completely remove. I love winter so i adapt my trailer and my cat

Tire chains on the rear tires cant be swapped for ice screws in my case. I wish they could ; screws are way lighter and way cheaper. There are tremendous amounts of force being applied here. Climbing ice covered ground pulling a loaded komatik is a sketchy and puckering experience. This is where the brute force of tire chains meet challenging and real life travel conditions in winter time Canada.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts