Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering adding some shock covers to my sled. They are commonly found on eBay...

-->Link Here<--

Do they help to actually keep the shock/spring clear of dirt/snow? Or are they simply an appearance item?

Thought I'd get some opinions before I purchase.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll assume a lack of response means these things are an "all show" "no go" item so I'll forget about them.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Didn't happen to see this topic or I would've gladly thrown in my 2¢

Shock covers do have some advantages, but also disadvantages.

They may retain moisture longer, speeding up corrosion. Some may not, if the material 'breathes'. Corrosion is likely not a big issue unless you get a lot of salt exposure from road riding or trailering. If they're disposable shocks... It probably doesn't matter anyway.

If the shocks/springs are already corroded/rusted, covers can help hide it and make the sled look better. Covers will help prevent the shock rod from dragging trace amounts of water into the shock, which will keep the oil contaminant free longer.

They add weight, but do not improve the function of the machine in any way. In fact, if you ride aggressively enough, they will help retain shock heat and be more likely to overheat... An overheating shock will result in shock fade. When your sled feels more 'boingy' than when you started 'cold', it's shock fade from the oil overheating.

Some only install them because they like the graphics on them or the way they look... Reasons of superficial appearance not function. But as mentioned above, if the shocks/springs are already rusty the looks will be improved.

:chug:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have used them on my past 2 sleds originally because they look good, but they are fuctional to keep the ice & debris off the shafts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
hey , i just got theose ones from shockpros and they look / fit great ... theyre a little more expensive but i give em' two thumbs up !
i'll post pics later today

1 - 5 of 5 Posts