Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the steel body Bilstein shocks on there Prowler and if so how about some feed back good or bad.

Danno

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dentless @ Jan 29 2007, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Bilsteins are awesome. Just took my new set to the dunes. What a difference. Until my little mishap.....[attachment=62273:Jan_2007_037.jpg][/b]
Oh no, what happened?
I noticed you inverted your front shocks, why?
I know the rears mount that way but why the fronts?
[attachment=62293:DSC00627.JPG]
Danno

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't wait to try mine out this weekend at Coos bay here in Oregon. :super_happy:

Dentless, what did you set your preload to?
Mine came out of the box at 9.250" which set the machine too low for me, I need at least the stock ground clearance.
He said 300#'s in the rear may be too much even with my back seat.
Gary at micro touch put 250# springs on all four corners of mine.
Danno

·
Registered
352 Posts
I went off about a 5 foot drop in the dark at the dunes. Obviously I didn't land exactly straight. The right front CV blew up at the tire hub and I bent the tie rod. When we tried to bend the tie rod back...it broke. We had to take the shock off and tie up the right front and ratchet strap down the left rear. After about 2 hours we got back to camp. The next AM I went into Yuma and got another tie rod put in on ( pain in the butt to loosen) and wired up the axle so it sat in the hub even though I had no bearings left. I was able to run for 2 days in 2wd. Then the last am I hit a sharp incline and broke the lower A-arm mount on the back side. It must have cracked during the first crash. Of course there went the new tie rod again. Got it back together enough to limp back to camp. Ordered a new axle and tie rod yesterday for about $250 and just need to do some very minor welding on the A-arm mount to fix that. Not bad.....It was the first mishap I've had with it to date. I am pretty good at tearing apart the front end now!! As far as the shock goes Danno, I have seen them both ways, so I just stuck em on. I have the same springs as you. I think I need to crank up the preload a little in the back though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
P.S. Dont rely on the stock lap belts in the front. Second time my passenger has almost flown out when the seatbelt didn't lock until it extended all the way out. Ordering harnesses from Crowe to match the ones in the rear seats.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW, what a weekend!
I need to add lap/shoulder belts to mine too, the stock ones suck.

Danno

1 - 9 of 9 Posts