Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shimming my 500 I removed the retainer bridge and it appears it is different than the 800's. Is this the case? The picture I found of the shims for the 800 appears that the only thing I would do is drill the holes for the retaining screws and the valve. The 500 bridge has a shelf that appears to slide into the jug that the shim would need to be opened up to accomodate. If anyone can verify this I would appreciate it. Especially if anyone has shimmed a 500. Also will I need to allow for the shim thickness when adjusting the cables? Just for anyones info I took out the pto side cylinder at 1400 miles. Dealer warranty on that one. Told me locating pin for rings failed. 1800 miles and the valves are ticking away so back to dealer who pulled valves and could not find anything, was told normal noise with this engine. Pulled valves myself to shim since warranty is out and pto side valve retaining pin is worn and valve hole is elongated at 2000 miles. Heading to dealer to see if he is going to help me out. Want to take bets? It's an '02.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got back from the dealer with a used valve(didn't have a new one in stock) and two new retaining screws for no charge. Didn't have to put up a stink to get them. Would have liked to see how much play is in the hole of a new valve that the retaining screw goes through. Both have the same amount of play now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts