Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am repairing my 1998 ZR500, replacing all bearings in the jack and drive shaft. When I assembled it the manual says to check that the two gears are aligned. I placed a straight edge on them and found them to be about 2.8mm out. The manuals says 0.8mm max. So the top gear needs to be shimmed out. I am about 99% sure there was no washer/shim when I took it apart. I was careful to take the nuts/washer/gears and chain off and lay everything out in order. I do not have a shim for behind the gear.

Can I just use any old washer (non hardened) ?

Thanks.
Greg.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Did you put the top gear in backward? The protruding side of the bearing faces the right side of the sled.
I don't think so... both bearings have the lock flange pointed out toward the gear.

When I tighten everything up the shafts spin freely, the brake rotor is pulled tight against the collar on the jackshaft.... everything seems OK but the alignment.

Here's some pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Bearings look good. Are the top and bottom gears the same thickness. I use a 15W top gear with a 13W bottom gear on my 800 with reverse and the front faces don't line up. Could it be that the bottom gear on your sled is wider than the top gear?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the top and bottom gears the same thickness.
It's the stock gear's. I believe they are the same thickness. I have to go check to be sure. The bottom gear does have the hub that protrudes a bit from the face of the gear, I have that pointed in toward the bearing. I'm sure that's how it came off..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got it back together. First picture shows the misalignment, way off. First I noticed that the top shaft wasn't sitting flush against the chain case, see the second picture. A light tap with a hammer and block of wood from the other side set it. This wasn't the problem but it did ensure that more of the gear would be on the splines. Next I took out the bottom bearing and loosened off the nuts on the other side of the shaft (at the speedo). Reinstalled the bearing and now everything lined up! Something was definitely off not sure what.

So on to the next problem...

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have a similar issue with my 00' 700 powder special and have no idea how i should shim it never had to do it in my older sleds ive been lucky parts have always matched up any help would be great

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bosscatrider, it could be that somethiing isn't going back together correctly. That's what it was in my case. If no shims came out and if the replacement bearing is the same dimensions then it should go back without needing shims. I removed the speedo cover plate from the speedo side bearing to make sure the drive shaft was free to move (and the locking collar was well back). Then I removed the lower bearing on the chain case side again and cleaned everything up, making sure I didn't have any debris in there. Then I put it back together. And this time things lined up better and the gears were aligned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.