Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running shaper bars or Doolys, if so what length is working best? I will be mostly trail riding.

·
Super Moderator
8,922 Posts
I run quite a few different carbide setups. I also change setup quite a bit during the season.
It really comes down to what you want most of the time if you are not adjusting. Carbides do most of the work in some conditions and almost nothing in other conditions.
There is no simple answer. It can be narrowed down with riding preferences, setup, and most common riding conditions.

·
Registered
2021 ZR8000 137 Limited ATAC
12 Posts
i ran 6" shapers on my ZR8000 i liked them but sometimes in harder packed trails a bit more effort was needed to turn them. all preference really.

·
Registered
317 Posts
How about length 6”? Seems like the 2021 Riots have longer carbides?
2020 has 4", and they're junk imo. Less than 450 miles and they're toast imo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,372 Posts
The only down fall to shapers is they are easy to bend and rip off a ski. I usually have that happed before they actually wear out

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 4" stock carbides are junk, don't know why they sell a 146 with a 1.6 lug and 4" carbide. Anyways I went with 6" Slim Jim Doolys and couldn't be happier. Totally different sled, rails a corner (for a 146). Also added carbide tipped track lug screws, what a difference.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear and thanks for the feedback! 6” slim Jim doolys getting ordered! I have seen others with these and they seem happy.

·
Super Moderator
8,922 Posts
I prefer the Slim Jims for riding comfort and control. I wouldn't even mind replacing them so often if the price was a little better. I always cringe when I ride through junk with them installed. I actually keep a spare set in the trailer.
I've been using a regular doolies and double down carbides in real junk. The double down style has more bite than a standard dooly, but not like the Slim Jims. My last RR had fairly decent stock carbides for handling. They just didn't last long.
I've used the various carbides on stock and aftermarket skis. Stock skis rely a lot on carbides to do the work. You will see big gains in handling with the right carbides for your style.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm running 8" woodys single bar on my '21 Riot. I run those on all of my sleds. We'll see how they work on the Riot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i ran 6" shapers on my ZR8000 i liked them but sometimes in harder packed trails a bit more effort was needed to turn them. all preference really.
The carbide itself really only helps on ice so I always use the longest I can find. I use the shaper bars (9") on a ZR6000 129 and I really like the precision they provide.
With the longer track it'll be harder to make that sled handle like its on rails as there's such a large contact patch with the track.
As others have said, its a complex problem but based on the fact that fundamentally you have a lot more track on the ground I would go with the longest duallys that would fit. Then start working with the suspension to dial it in.

Also, I would love to know what works for you as I have my eye on a Riot 8000 1.6.

Best of luck,

P.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I ended up putting Aggressive Snowtrackers on my Riot. Can't wait to try it out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 ZR8000 137 Limited ATAC
12 Posts
I’ve installed 8” shapers on my ‘21 zr8000 limited 137 with an ice storm 150 track. Can’t wait to try it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts