Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a new Arctic Cat F1100 Turbo. Found out within 10 miles that the stock skies suck and since I 've had good experience with Slydog skies and 6 inch Shaper bars on my last sled I thought it would be a good fit for this one. Long story short, my sled with barely over 100 miles caught the carbide on a rail in the middle of the trail and dead stopped throwing me into the handle bars at 9 or 10 mph and bending the handlebars, riser(with my knees), bulk head and A arm. To put this into perspective it seemed like my friends all made it over no problem. Also, any crack or straight edge (while going over concrete)seemed like my sled would get caught up in it. I love cornering, but at this point I'm a bid scared of the sled..

I will be posting some pictures as soon as I am able to get the ski off, but am looking for some opinions as to what if anything I did wrong. I did noticed that the carbides seems especially prone to catching. I never had this problem before. Has anyone else run Sly dogs and 6 inch shaper bars?

1. Could it be the extra weight (last sled I had this set up on was a s/charged Phazer with 128 inch track)
2. Could it be that I didn't install correct
3. Could it be that the factory mounts have a little angle to them and the sly dogs didn't?
4. Could it be that It was just a bad stroke of luck?
5. Other?

·
Registered
492 Posts
So I just picked up a new Arctic Cat F1100 Turbo. Found out within 10 miles that the stock skies suck and since I 've had good experience with Slydog skies and 6 inch Shaper bars on my last sled I thought it would be a good fit for this one. Long story short, my sled with barely over 100 miles caught the carbide on a rail in the middle of the trail and dead stopped throwing me into the handle bars at 9 or 10 mph and bending the handlebars, riser(with my knees), bulk head and A arm. To put this into perspective it seemed like my friends all made it over no problem. Also, any crack or straight edge (while going over concrete)seemed like my sled would get caught up in it. I love cornering, but at this point I'm a bid scared of the sled..

I will be posting some pictures as soon as I am able to get the ski off, but am looking for some opinions as to what if anything I did wrong. I did noticed that the carbides seems especially prone to catching. I never had this problem before. Has anyone else run Sly dogs and 6 inch shaper bars?

1. Could it be the extra weight (last sled I had this set up on was a s/charged Phazer with 128 inch track)
3. Could it be that the factory mounts have a little angle to them and the sly dogs didn't?
5. Other?

I've had the sae me problem of catching shapers on rails as well as cement lips like on roads or going into my garage.

I believe it is the front is to vertical and catches.

Start of the season I caught a shaper on a rail crossing and screwed the shaper. The right ski caught, tossed the sled sideways and scared the crap out of me. I too was only going slow but it surprised me the force of the impact. Never hurt the sled though. I was running C&A Razors.

I'm sort of spooked with these shapers crossing anything hard.

I caught a drain lid with my Doo and destroyed the front of the sled at about 10 miles an hour. Bent everything that could bend. Rode home with the ski's towed in.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow, sorry for your bad experience but thanks for the heads up! I have Shapers on my Pilot 5.7's and really like the handling but your story scared me a bit. I was riding a few weekends ago right after I put the Shapers on and was following my wife through a field. I saw her right ski pop up and she turned around and signaled to watch out. I slowed way down and saw she had run over a buried stump. As my right ski went over it at a couple mphs my sled stopped dead as the right ski stopped dead on the leading edge of the cut off stump. I didn't think much of it and didn't do any damage but after hearing your story I'm going to check the leading edge of my bars. Maybe I can run a bead with my welder on the leading edge to make the transition more gradual. Thanks for the warning!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a bar catch the top of a drain tile. I went from 20mph to flying through the air. The impact was so hard. Put it this way I don't ditch ride anymore. And Now i just grind the first carbide on my bars so it doesn't happen again. It put me out of ridding for a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow!!!! after seeing that others have been experiencing the same problem, the Stud boy Shaper bars are going in the garbage!!! The goal of putting them on is to get better traction and not fly off the trail, but if you get hurt (and wreck your sled)on the way to the trail by having them...Whats the point??

Anyone have any other suggestion on carbides...I do like to take turns fast

·
Registered
126 Posts
That is scary to findout this many guys are having this problem with shaper bars,,i've been using them for about 6 yrs now and never heard of this before,kinda makes me nervous now too!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sounds like snowtrackers are not the only ones getting bad press......My guess is that the new sleds need much less ski pressure than the sleds of the past, and are more likely to catch on obstacles than we are used to.
I know I had to take a lot of pressure off my skis on my turbo to keep my sled from having lots of oversteer.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
This all really stinks to hear, can anyone post pics. of the damage or what part of the bar is catching?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bergstrom Triple Point are unbelievable. Put them and ski savers as well as shim kit and the sled handles like its on rails. The shims put the ski pressure toward heel of ski instead of on front. I have never caught a thing with them. No more darting and doesn't seem to slow top end. These things will actually turn on pavement. Yes they are expensive at $200 a pair but they work awesome and hardly look worn after 1200 miles. Had 6 inch shapers and they never seem better than stock. Only thing I will ever run.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have ran woodys slim jim duallys since day one, i now have 2000 miles on sled .. the first set wore pretty quick in the front so i added a shim on the back side and have well over 1500 miles on them and they still look great and handle the trail awesome... down side is that anyone that rides behind me will dart like crazy, so i stay in the back when i ride with my go fast buddies.....i have heard great things about bergstroms , but when i call i never get a call back so i went this way and they are readally avaliable.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The carbide on the studboy shapers start ahead of the first ski stud and tend to Force the front of any ski down. If you look at the standard studboy the carbide starts by or rear of the first ski stud. Also C&A,Slydog and other aftermarket skis do not have as much of that rocker shape to them. Even some of the new o.e.m. designs with the dual runners (ski doo) have issues on the rev and xp models. C&A,Slydog and others tend to be a bit on the flat side instead of having a nice curve in the ski from the spindle to fore and aft on the ski bottom. So the more carbide in front of the first stud in the ski the more likely it is going to catch on anything harder than ice. I personally have never bought aftermarket skis,I'd rather adjust my suspension to keep it from darting or pushing. That's why I loved the front arm adjust so much as trail conditions changed a turn here or there was all it took to get her running true. To bad so many people over adjusted or turned the dial past the range of adjustment causing premature failure and warranty complaints or Cat would still he using them. Hope this makes sense and helps. (Sorry some of the words and spelling may not make sense my word predictor is stuck on.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
attached pics of damaged ski roughly 200 miles

5. Other?

I've attached some pictures of a new Sly dog ski with Round 6 inch carbide and the damaged ski and stud boy shaper carbide....After reading replies and doing some homework here's what I'm thinking..

Rubber Stops:
1. The rubber stops provided by sly dog don't put enough pressure on the back area (and too much on front) of the ski
2. Stops are not properly shaped for the spindle which is curved at the bottoms(when sled is jacked up skis are pointing downward and it still pushed on corners) and since the don't have that angle this would have caused the carbides and skies to sit at an odd angle and point down as well.
3. The reason I didn't use the factory stops is because they were too tall.

Carbides:
1. Looks like the ski caught in two places...(at the front and right at the start of the bite section of the carbide)
2. They don't angle into the front of the ski properly for a smooth transition

Ideas to fix stops(i'm still pretty new to the sport so any expert opinions would be appreciated)

I thinking I'm going to go with the factory stops and to make the fit, I'm going to cut off the rubber placement bumps except for the very rear(kinda of like using shims). Using the slydog ski, this should give me better than factory rear ski pressure and better all around ride..

These two things along with being inexperienced on what to look out for were a recipe for disaster. I don't think Sly dog should sell shaper bars with out better instructions and grinding the front down( or at least mentioning this in their directions) so someone doesn't get seriously hurt or die...I've heard the shaper bars go into the front of the C and A skies, but haven't owned pair myself. Good bye shaper bars...

Special Thanks for the posts from

buckstalker and cropman01

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
This all really stinks to hear, can anyone post pics. of the damage or what part of the bar is catching?
I hear you on that. It looks like some of the wear bars are placing the carbides to far in frong of the spindle. Also the rocker shape of the bottom of the new skis seem flatter or straight without much of an upward arc fore and aft of the spindle. It's like you have to physically look at the carbides before buying regardless of brand.
The Tiger roarsRockerdude

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of the r/r tracks you were crossing too. Maybe not enough snow and the rail was sticking out somewhat allowing you to hook the rail ? I noticed the week we were in the UP that if I crossed where the cars do there was some rubber that protected the skis from hitting the tracks too much that the sled would cross over much easier (i too had shaper bars on it at the time). And if I tried crossing where the other sleds mostly had been that there was no protection from the tracks and it was easy to feel that the carbides were banging into the tracks. I did look at the carbides when I came home from that trip and they now have almost 2k miles on them and are worn and one carbide section was pulled out. On one of the r/r crossings I felt a tug pretty good on the bars and I think it pulled that one section out at that time.

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.