Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '17 TRV 1000 has developed an aversion to water. If I hit a shallow puddle fast enough to splash water to headlight height the engine immediately struggles as if it has ingested water. It takes about 5 minutes for it to dry out enough to run properly. It throws three codes P0337, P0339, and P0340 - all relating to the crankshaft angle sensor. I can ford a stream floorboards deep with no issues - it is the splashing that seems to cause the problem. I've tried soaking the machine with a garden hose and haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

Have any of you run into this, and what was the cure? My dealer is puzzled and nothing he has considered has solved the problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Check that the coil/coils are not loose and plug and coil wires are tightly seated. I had the coil on my 700 TRV get loose once and it would start cutting out when hitting a bump hard. Next, spray silicone on the coil and plug wires. Never heard it on a Cat, but, back in the day, I'm dating myself, cars would be hard to start when there was a lot of moisture in the air. Used to rub kerosene on the spark plug and coil wires for a temporary fix.Any shorting out should be visible in the dark.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I ran into a similar problem with my 2010 366. Like you the machine would randomly die after splashing a puddle. This one is not fuel injected so it would not throw any codes. I struggled for 6 months to find the problem. In the end the problem was a small crack in the boot between the carb and the engine.

Mike

·
Administrator
42,075 Posts
Unplug all electrical connectors and use di-electrical on them

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good morning All, thanks for your ideas. Mikeexplorer, that's what my dealer is convinced is happening and I may turn the machine over to him for further diagnosis. I can't find a problem there and the connection between the air box and the throttle body is such a small rubber ring I can't see how it could fail. Everything downstream from that ring is metal.

It is so strange that I can't get it to happen when I soak the machine with a hose, even with the engine rev'd up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts