Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My first post. I own '95 and '99 Ski Doos and want a 3rd sled for my son but naturally on tight budget. I found for sale a 2000 ZR500 APV which states "engine needs to be rebuilt, spring on power valves broke, the sled other than the engine is in great shape with 3,411 miles on it". Asking price is $600.

Having never owned an Arctic Cat I'm looking for advice on what I should check when looking over this sled and how much it might cost in parts for the repairs if this is all that is wrong with it. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Steve

·
5,963 Posts
well if it screwed up the Cylinders they are 225 a Piece New from Country cat i think. top end can get expensive quick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pelle15. I'm assuming compression will be low in one of the cylinders but without removing the heads I won't be able to see if cylinder or just piston damaged. Do you know what acceptable level of compression is for this sled? Also, I'm wondering how much tear apart is considered disrepectful when figuring out damage before making an offer?

I should mention I've done routine maintenance on my Ski Doo's including cleaning carbs, but have not attempted engine rebuild. I want to try it though cause I like doing that kind of stuff. I just want to pick the right project so I don't end up buying something to just part it out.

Thanks

·
5,963 Posts
Thanks pelle15. I'm assuming compression will be low in one of the cylinders but without removing the heads I won't be able to see if cylinder or just piston damaged. Do you know what acceptable level of compression is for this sled? 120 PSI (within 10% of each other) is accepted Also, I'm wondering how much tear apart is considered disrepectful when figuring out damage before making an offer? This is a gray area for me. You could Pull the Power valves (4 bolts and 3 allans per side) and get a look into the Cylinder some what

I should mention I've done routine maintenance on my Ski Doo's including cleaning carbs, but have not attempted engine rebuild. I want to try it though cause I like doing that kind of stuff. I just want to pick the right project so I don't end up buying something to just part it out.

Thanks
Top ends are not that Bad. But as I said can get spendy quick. IMO I would just get two new pistons and a gasket kit and You might need a new cylinder. But add it up you will have 6-800 into it. So total you will have 1200-1400 into it.

Reactions: Steve_W

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. I actually did quite a bit of homework on this yesterday, including getting details on what caused the issue and creating a worst case scenario shopping cart at Cat Country. BTW the owner had the year wrong because per Cat Country schematics, 2000 did not have an exhaust valve.... and the Cylinder for the 2001 (3005-795) was $761. I was considering offering $300 thinking If I couldn't rebuild it cheaply I could still come out ahead parting it out.... but the posting has been removed and poster not picking up phone so for better or worse this sleds no longer available.

Thanks again and I'll be back if I find another Arctic Cat opportunity.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
There are reman cylinders in eBay right now for $200. If the guy has any sense he would never sell for $300. It is worth more than that as a roller and much more than that parted out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.