Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering on how the drive belt is supose to sit in the secondary, it supose to be flush with the top or is it supose to stick out 1/4 inch or so

·
Registered
101 Posts
You want the belt to stick about 1/8" above the top of the secondary; then, start up the sled and put some load on it and recheck it. I run my belt a little higher than that, usually if it is chirping it is perfect. Others, get it chirping and then then readjust till it just stops.

·
Registered
88 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlewByU @ Jan 28 2007, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You want the belt to stick about 1/8" above the top of the secondary; then, start up the sled and put some load on it and recheck it. I run my belt a little higher than that, usually if it is chirping it is perfect. Others, get it chirping and then then readjust till it just stops.[/b]

I adjust mine the same way, this is easy to do if you have one of the deflections adjusters, Fett Bros or B.D. are the way to go. I like to keep tweeking mine jus so it don't chirp at an idle. If you get it jus right it completely takes the little bog away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I also was wondering were your belt should sit on the secondary. What is a deflections adjusters? Also how do you adjust the secondary spring. I want to tighten it. I lost about 400 to 500 rpm at top end when I put 144 studs in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Deflection adjuster takes the place of your white plastic adjuster that you have now with shims on it. It does not use shims so all you do is screw it in or out & lock it in place to fine tune your belt deflection. Here is the Fett Bros one for an example. B.D. also makes one.

Fett Bros Deflection adjuster

Seems like alot of rpm's to lose with 144 studs, not sure though I don't run studs so maybe someone else will chim in on that one. Get the orange secondary spring if you haven't yet, works alot better then the green one. It takes a special wrench to adjust the secondary spring, get the B.D. TSS clutch tool and spring adjuster along with the B.D. deflection adjuster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I don't get the deflection adjuster, with the stock white adjuster I would have to add shims to it to allow my belt to sit higher on my secondary correct? I tried to tighten the secondary spring but it didn't seem to make that big of a difference. To tighten it I used a punch and hammer to turn that big plastic nut, the one after you take off the white adjuster and that plate with the 3 little screws. Which way do you turn it to tighten the spring? You turn it counterclockwise right? Or do you have to take that big plastic nut off and put the spring in one of those other holes. This is the first sled if had or seen with the act drive, so this is all pretty knew to me. With that orange secondary spring I will be able to leave everything else stock?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts