Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i spread apart the secondary sheaves on my o3f5sp? It may be a dumb question but ive never dealt with one of these backward clutches before.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This one threw me too after coming from Bombardier.

Wrap your hands around the smaller part of the clutch that sticks out towards the side panels. Turn it clockwise and push in, this will push the plates apart. Hold it there with one hand and using your now free hand push the belt down into the clutch,,,, the belt will hold the plates apart. If you have the belt far enough into the clutch you should be able to now pull the belt (belt section below clutch shaft) down and out of the clutch.
If your 03 is similar to my 05 becareful removing the belt off of the primary,,, it is very tight between the primary and the body panel. It's tight but it will go.

I've also heard of another way but I'm not sure of it exactly. Remove the clutch bolt,, remove all of the spacers (or add spacers???) then put the bolt back in and it pushes the plates apart,
I don't think I have this one right on,,,, so if anyone can comment on it it would be good to know. It's susposed to be alot easier.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
That green spring on the secondary is a stiff one. You may want to lock the e-brake and pull up on the bottom portion of the belt to get the sheaves spreading.

I've always walked my belt off of my F5, if you can prop up the rear it's the easiest way to go. (All that bicycle chain experience from my youth has finally paid off!)

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I'm not sure if its the same as my 05 F7 with DD but the best way to take the belt off it is to set parking brake and then put a strap wrench around the helix and turn clockwise, the sheaves open right up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried the strap wrench and I didn't work that well. The clutch for the DD has alot of surface (smooth all around) and the older clutch only has 3 pins or shafts to grab. Now mind you I havn't tried the method of using your hands either so I'm note sure which method creates for of a headache.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse here but I can't get the belt off for the life of me (1st timer). What is the helix? If you walk the belt off, do you have to worry about bending anything or stretching the belt? And then how would you get the damn thing back on? I dunno

·
Registered
180 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jaydeem @ Jan 19 2007, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I tried the strap wrench and I didn't work that well. The clutch for the DD has alot of surface (smooth all around) and the older clutch only has 3 pins or shafts to grab. Now mind you I havn't tried the method of using your hands either so I'm note sure which method creates for of a headache.[/b]
Remove the secondary bolt & washers, then flip all of the washers over on the bolt (including the large one). The large washer will then be the inner one, instead of being the outer one.
Then all you do is just turn bolt in untill it's up aganist the helix, then take your wrench and turn the bolt in a 1/4" . The sheeves will open right up & you can then pull the belt off. Hopfuly you can unstald my gibrish.

Aaron

·
Registered
73 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jaydeem @ Jan 19 2007, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If your 03 is similar to my 05 becareful removing the belt off of the primary,,, it is very tight between the primary and the body panel. It's tight but it will go.[/b]
OK, I finally got the darn belt off :super_happy: It's taken me a while to say the least. However I couldn't actually get it out! How the hell do you get it out from the primary?
Someone else mentioned turning washers around, I only have one on my F5, is that normal?

·
Registered
32 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fisheye4 @ Apr 5 2007, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jaydeem @ Jan 19 2007, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your 03 is similar to my 05 becareful removing the belt off of the primary,,, it is very tight between the primary and the body panel. It's tight but it will go.[/b]
OK, I finally got the darn belt off :super_happy: It's taken me a while to say the least. However I couldn't actually get it out! How the hell do you get it out from the primary?
Someone else mentioned turning washers around, I only have one on my F5, is that normal?
[/b][/quote]

It's tight but it slips through,, don't worry about ripping the foam beside the primary. I turn the belt sideways so one part is inside the primary and the other part is outside,,, between the primary and the side panels. when it's in this postion you are able to slide the thin section (profile) bewteen the clutch and the panel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts