Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to service the kid's new '00 ZR. Took the retainer bolt out of the secondary and that sucker will not come off. Applied penetrating oil, heat, and as much hammer swinging as I dared, and no dice. Anyone else ever have this happen?

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Happens all the time. Some guys have to pull whole shaft out and get it pressed off. My T660 seized up but I managed to use wedges between clutch and bearing holder behind it. Had to buy new bearing and cage after that. Now its removed every 2nd year.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I work on a few sleds a year with stuck secondary’s. I broke down a bought the tool to save time.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Now its removed every 2nd year.
+1
The key is to remove your clutches annually for inspection and cleaning.

Both my clutches come off every year for cleaning (they get washed in the dishwasher). I also make sure the shafts are clean and dry. I've seen guys put grease on the secondary shafts. I personally don't use grease as it attracts belt dust, which over time will build up and make the secondary hard to take off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got the tool for ~$55 on Amazon. I spread the belly pan on that side and it had plenty of room on my 01 zr.

Absolutely worth every cent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well now I'm a little worried about the jackshaft bearings. Rapped on the back of the clutch pretty hard. I did rotate it a bit afterward and didn't notice any flat spots or binding. 🤞

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
I understand your trying to get the cluch off but the hammer treatment should be done gently. When its finally off sand the shaft and clean the inside of the clutch. Leave the key way out then put some oil on the shaft and slide the secondary clutch on it and spin it as fast as you can. If the clutch wobbles much, its junk. Most guys hit them so hard them bend them. Best to buy the puller as already stated. Hate to see you have more trouble, but be sure to pull the key way and check it. Then remove the oil from the shaft. I use graphite spray. It goes on wet and dries. Wouldn't hurt to put it on the primary rollers as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just did this last year on a 97 zr580. Bought the tool on Amazon, it did nothing. Ended up cutting the jackshaft. The positive note was it made me inspect and replace the shaft bearings. Now it's all new!

·
Registered
122 Posts
What I did that was suggested on this site was tilt the sled on the side and fill the bolt hole on the secondary with pb blaster for a couple days. Put sled up right warm it up. Once warm. Tilt sled on its side again. With the track not touching any thing hammer the throttle full throttle and then slam on brake hard. I did this about 10 times and it actually broke loose. If you don’t get it let it soak more with pb blaster. Hope this helps

·
Registered
122 Posts
Before putting the new secondary clutch on clean the shaft then I have been putting on antiseze. Haven’t had a problem getting them off. I also inspect them in the off-season as well now.......

·
Registered
224 Posts
Before putting the new secondary clutch on clean the shaft then I have been putting on antiseze. Haven’t had a problem getting them off. I also inspect them in the off-season as well now.......
Arctic cat recommends using anti -seize on the shaft to prevent this problem from happening. I actually have the opposite problem- lots of slop! The clutch can be rotated back and forth a few degrees [NOT END play, it's supposed to have end play] on the shaft. Sometimes when I hit the brakes, I can hear it clunking. New key does not solve problem. Hate to buy a new clutch! [Shaft does not appear to be worn.] I am wondering if the high 'solids ' content of anti- seize wore it out. I use chassis grease now.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
I don't know if Cat recommends anti seize on the shaft or not, but,... I would not use it as that stuff is abrasive. Your better off with a grahite spray that dries to the touch. As for your slop, check your chain tensioner. It more than likely is the chain being sloppy and not the clutch. Been there, done that. lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't know if Cat recommends anti seize on the shaft or not, but,... I would not use it as that stuff is abrasive. Your better off with a grahite spray that dries to the touch. As for your slop, check your chain tensioner. It more than likely is the chain being sloppy and not the clutch. Been there, done that. lol.
I was already using it to be honest, but I found this today...

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
One reason these secondaries stick is the end of the jackshaft "mushrooms" out a bit. I bought a used Tcat and had to take the entire jackshaft out. Tried a clutch puller and stripped the threads. I tried pressing the clutch off with a 20 ton press and broke the socket.
That being said, before putting the clutch on take a file or 180 grit sand paper on a right angle die grinder and lightly bevel the edge of the shaft. Liberally apply antizseize to the shaft the install the clutch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts