Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today was my second trip on my f7 and it started running on one cylinder. Diagnosed it to be a bad coil. It was only sparking on one side. I swapped out to a Yamaha exciter coil and it ran. So now to find a new coil ASAP. I read some other posts here about sleds running funny and not pulling past 7k rpm. This may be something to try for a quick answer. Are the coils a common issue on theses sleds?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Look on eBay for a coil

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put in a brand new coil today. It starts right up and dies. It did this maybe 15 times, I was thinking one cylinder may have been flooded from the last time it ran so i kept trying. No luck, after a few more pulls now I don't even get a headlight or dash lights when pulling it over. Time to test the stator?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Take the wires off the spark plugs, hold onto the rubber outer wiring with your fingers and twist the top until you the rubber that you are holding starts twisting in your fingers. Do this to both of them. My sled has done this and it worked for me. Once you get them tightened back on put them back onto the plugs and start it up. It worked for me hopefully for you to!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did that twice, I have great spark. I have fuel pumping to the rail. No headlight or dash lights when I crank it. I checked for loose wires around where the coil plugs in thinking I knocked something loose. I hope it's not the ecu!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the stator, well one of the windings at least. Green to brown 15.8 and green to black 15.8 ohms. I pulled the fuel rail, had a friend crank it over, the injectors are spraying and the headlamp has a tiny tiny glow. Before when I was cranking it over it was just about lighting them up all the way. Isn't there another section of the stator that runs something else? Maybe a second plug to test at? There are two yellow and one brown at a plug, the yellows are a direct short and the brown appears to be a chassis ground to the engine.

·
Super Moderator
8,544 Posts
I checked the stator, well one of the windings at least. Green to brown 15.8 and green to black 15.8 ohms. I pulled the fuel rail, had a friend crank it over, the injectors are spraying and the headlamp has a tiny tiny glow. Before when I was cranking it over it was just about lighting them up all the way. Isn't there another section of the stator that runs something else? Maybe a second plug to test at? There are two yellow and one brown at a plug, the yellows are a direct short and the brown appears to be a chassis ground to the engine.

stator has 4 coils in it. lighting, high and low charge coils, fuel pump.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a YouTube video on how to test the entire stator. Everything measured up. Sparking, pulsing injectors and getting fuel up to the rail. The plugs are out and exhaust is off for the night. I'm going to hope its just flooded really bad. The plugs came out soaked and the y pipe is wet inside. Ill see what tomorrow brings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
just a thought but make sure your throttle cable housing is pushed all the way into the thumb throtle lever. Mine had the same systems as yours after a friend put my sled on its side and must have hit the cable at some point. Mine would fire for 2-3 seconds than die. Just a fluke that we noticed the cable housing wasn't seated all the way. Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, I feel dumb. I checked the throttle and sure enough an exhaust spring was under the throttle body holding it open. Quick fix, started right up. At least I learned a lot about my sled and got to test my stator!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.