Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with just over 400 miles on my sled, (it was a crappy winter) last trip out I had snapped off a scratcher. Pulled the sleds out today to run and clean them, figured it was a good time to replace the broken scratcher.

After looking at the hub that they ride on, and how much wear on the scratcher itself, it's probably going to be a yearly, if not twice yearly replacement.

Just something to keep an eye on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Run the wire scratchers and I put a piece of rubber fuel line split down the middle and ty wrap it to the rail. Protects the rail and the scratcher.

·
Super Moderator
8,922 Posts
Bummer deal with scratchers. They are a wear item. The comparison on tips is hard to verify. The shorter tip almost looks like it was cut short. I see ends that get rounded down quite a bit as they wear.
You can get a few more miles on those hubs by slightly turning them as they wear. The blue loctite has a sorta gummy hold quality. You can get by with slightly loosening the bolt, turning the hub, and resecuring the assembly. Steel, aluminum, and loctite, combination will let you cheat a little. Just make sure to clean good around the seating area against the rail before you clamp em down again.
Are those Cat scratchers? How did the retaining holes wear in the rails? They seem like a loose fit on the hub and the vibration is causing some accelerated wear on the hub.

Reactions: FrozenTows

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bummer deal with scratchers. They are a wear item. The comparison on tips is hard to verify. The shorter tip almost looks like it was cut short. I see ends that get rounded down quite a bit as they wear.
You can get a few more miles on those hubs by slightly turning them as they wear. The blue loctite has a sorta gummy hold quality. You can get by with slightly loosening the bolt, turning the hub, and resecuring the assembly. Steel, aluminum, and loctite, combination will let you cheat a little. Just make sure to clean good around the seating area against the rail before you clamp em down again.
Are those Cat scratchers? How did the retaining holes wear in the rails? They seem like a loose fit on the hub and the vibration is causing some accelerated wear on the hub.
They were not cut, snapped is possible, but I wouldn't cut one. Looks worn to me, and like I said in the first post.... those had just over 400 miles.

They were OEM that came with the sled, as are the replacements.

·
Super Moderator
8,922 Posts
It was just a speculation about the scratcher. I bought three sets at the same time last season. I had one scratcher that was about 3/8" shorter than the rest. I was a little peeved because I didn't notice until I started installing them on the sleds.
They do wear fairly fast in certain conditions. I normally run with just one down. The wear is pretty easy to see on the dragger even with decent conditions. One of the kids left both down pretty much most of the time. We chewed him out when we noticed they were down running pavement to a gas stop. That set was shot dang quick. Those scratchers were probably ineffective in less than 400 miles.
I've found that I can get enough cooling much of the time just running one scratcher. I'm sorta cheap too. I run with one to try and extend the miles before replacement. I tried to find a source where I could buy just one at a time. I usually find it more convienient to drop/tuck the left one so it tends to see more use.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was just a speculation about the scratcher. I bought three sets at the same time last season. I had one scratcher that was about 3/8" shorter than the rest. I was a little peeved because I didn't notice until I started installing them on the sleds.
They do wear fairly fast in certain conditions. I normally run with just one down. The wear is pretty easy to see on the dragger even with decent conditions. One of the kids left both down pretty much most of the time. We chewed him out when we noticed they were down running pavement to a gas stop. That set was shot dang quick. Those scratchers were probably ineffective in less than 400 miles.
I've found that I can get enough cooling much of the time just running one scratcher. I'm sorta cheap too. I run with one to try and extend the miles before replacement. I tried to find a source where I could buy just one at a time. I usually find it more convienient to drop/tuck the left one so it tends to see more use.
Gotcha. I was just shocked how fast they wore. I'll admit to not always putting them up when crossing a road, but I found myself using them most of the time, especially on hard pack or ice. Huge difference in cooling. Didn't need them in powder, but didn't see much of it last winter. I'll probably go with a cable style set after these, if nothing else so I don't have to stop and put them up to reverse.

·
Super Moderator
8,922 Posts
They all wear, and wear fast in the right conditions.
I've also run a bunch of cable scratchers. The additional advantage with those, is the ability to carry tips and replace just those if you have a bad trip.
I am still trying to figure out if it is worth the time trying to extend life on the spring style? My thought was trying a die on the spring to cut threads. I could use a couple of nuts with washers between on the end of the scratcher. I don't think it would be easy, but maybe worth a shot before tossing them.
New spring style scratchers work great. Worn spring scratchers don't do much except get in the way.
It is a bummer that we have to use these things. They are an additional cost and high maintenance item. Kind of a pain too, if you tuck them all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts