Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are you guys keeping in you packs as far as survival gear goes, and saftey equipment?

In the extreme conditions in which we ride we need to be prepared. Here is my list:

Heavy duty Space Blanket (see note)
GPS
cell phone or atleast a good 5mile 2 way radio
A Very well put together first aid kit
basic tools for wrenching out in the field
extra belt
extra spark plugs
probe
becon ( I'm shopping for a new one)
shovel
extra goggles
extra gloves
water proof matches, and a zippo that has been topped off

And IMHO one of the most important things to bring with you is a BUDDY that is prepared as well.

NOTE: (Guys the space blankets really work well, I was packed in about 7 mi. 2 years ago elk hunting when out of no where a very bad fall storm hit and my cousin and I were soaking wet, then it started to snow and the temps plummeted. Being as wet as we were we started to get very very cold, we crawled under a tree, but we were not getting any warmer, then I remembered that we had some of those silly shinney tin foil blankets I just had the really thin kind because we were packing, but I broke it out and my cousin and I wrapped up in it under that tree and I can't begin to tell you how much it helped out. We stopped shaking and we warmed up so fast. If I didn't have one I would have broke out the matches and started a fire, but when your archery hunting I'ts not a good thing to smell like a campfire. Now I carry a space blanket every time I go hunting the small disposable kind that tend to rip, but for snowmobiling I carry a really thick one.)

·
Registered
101 Posts
My co-worker and I tote the SAME things plus:

Nutrient/Candy Bars (3)
Flashlight with spare batteries
Folding Saw (Fiskar)
Knife
Topo Map and Compass
Spare Socks
MRE
Trioxanne Compressed Fuel
Steel Wool
100 feet of braided nylon coard
Tissue paper (not in a roll)
Whistle/Mirror/Flare/Illumi Sticks/any signaling device
East German Fire Starter/Self Igniting Flare that burns VERY HOT! (Karl!?)
Pre-plan of attack in case of an emergency situation

All items in a Camelbak Motherlode with hydration system up to 100 oz. of water weighing in at 17lbs. dry and 21lbs. with bladder full.

I also take an extra bottom and top of polypropylene undergarments. First couple of rides with that weight took some getting use to when riding on 2000 Powder Specials 600 with 136". With the 04 MC 900's and 159", the backpack is an advantage to help control in deep powder from the additional weight when leaning left or right. Don't even notice that it's back there any more!
thumbguy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Deepowder 2004

I live about 5 minutes from you. I grew up in Clinton and I'm building a new house in Hooper right now. Where you're so close let's do some rides next year.

Troy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scarto,

I also take MRE's, I use them for hunting as they are easy to pack. The steel wool is a great Idea, as far as an aid for starting fires ( I assume that's what you use it for). There are a few things that you mentioned that I also take but forgot to post (flash light, batteries for GPS and flashlight, multi tool with knife, pliers, etc...)

Where can you buy flares that burn Very Hot? That would be a good addition.

Oh ya you can't for get Mountain Money (Toilet Paper).

Troy

Were comming up with some great lists, let's keep this going.

How about Chap stick, and saline for my contacts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deepowder no I'm now kidding.

My name is Troy Jackson and my work number is 3955778, call me and I'd love to come over and check out you sled and your drop brackets.

Troy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Originally posted by rtjacks@Apr 20 2004, 03:11 PM
Where can you buy flares that burn Very Hot? That would be a good addition.

Troy
Safety One will have the contact info so you can ask about purchasing an East German Fire Starter without possibly having to purchase (no guarantee) the entire personal survival kit. It will start a fire with wet wood, it will dry it out and then ignite it. The instructor said that he was through with the demo of the East German Fire Starter and threw it into a snow bank. Covered in the snow bank was a tree and it dried out the wood enough to ignite the tree on fire and burn back the foilage and limbs to the trunk. HOT! thumbguy

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yup, Scarto and I went to the same school-really worth it. Anyway back to the topic, I've been late on this thread. I took a bunch of sources from here, SW, and R.S.S. from the last year and filtered out duplicates, by running the list thru excell, and resorting, bla, bla. Some of the items are for trail, some for mountain, or both. Here goes.........

Axe
Beef jerky
Belaclava
belt, extra
Binoculars
boogie wheel, extra
Cable lock
Candle or other non-liquid fire starter
Cell Phone w/ extended-range antenna
Change for phone call (obviously could mean a cell phone and pre-paid calling card also)
Chocolate bars or other energy food
Compass
cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly makes good fire starters.
Couple of bread bags and fresh socks in them. (In case of wet feet)
Couple of bungy cords about two ft long.
Drinking cup or canteen
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Fire starter
First Aid Kit
Flares
Flash light
Friction tape
Gallon of gas in the back rack
garbage bags,
Gloves, extra
GPS and compass (take a reading before you start the trip)
hatchet and small saw for remote areas
Headlight bulb, extra
Icyprople
Knife-pocket and/or fairly healthy-sized
Leatherman
light sticks
Light sticks, a couple, 12 hour
Little Mag-lite (AA-size)
Map of snowmobiling area
Matches, water proof/container/lighter
Nuts and bolts, asortment
Owner's Manual
plugs, extra
Rope, 50 feet, nylon
shield cable
Signalling device (whistle and/or mirror)
Small ball peen, more duct tape, crazy carpet
Small shovel
Snowshoes
Space Blanket (and/or thermal)
Spare belt and plugs
Spare parts (drive belt/spark plugs)
Starter rope for emergency
Sunglasses, extra
Tin can and candles
Toilet paper/tissue
Tool kit
Tools including small vise grips a knuckle duster, punch and chisel.
Tow strap
Voltage regulator, maybe an extra
Water
Wire saw
Wire wraps
Wire, 10 ft (electrical)
wyoming saw
zip ties

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best answer

Safety One will have the contact info so you can ask about purchasing an East German Fire Starter without possibly having to purchase (no guarantee) the entire personal survival kit. It will start a fire with wet wood, it will dry it out and then ignite it. The instructor said that he was through with the demo of the East German Fire Starter and threw it into a snow bank. Covered in the snow bank was a tree and it dried out the wood enough to ignite the tree on fire and burn back the foilage and limbs to the trunk. HOT!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I carry most of that stuff and want to add:

A package of glow sticks and glow necklaces, (to hang in trees and such), marking the way. Forbidding a case if you HAD to leave someone behind to get help and find your way back to them if it's dark.

Dollar store specials

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Two things
1) Tri-Band handheld shortwave radio
2) access to a helicopter
[don't really NEED the second one but it would be a nice option]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts