Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
40,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to remove rust on rotors?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hit the brakes good and hard a few times, silly. :Bangin:

·
Administrator
40,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Product Flange Auto part Automotive tire Circle

With what a hammer lol

Rick what is a DA sander?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

·
Administrator
40,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will it be better if I hit them with a hammer when they are on ?? Lol
Thanks j:k

·
Registered
435 Posts
They dont look to bad. Hell I seen them rusted so bad you couldnt move the tires. If it bothers you just take some 100 grit sand paper and rub them down. then take 300 grit for a finish sand.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Spend a day in the mud!!!! It worked for me. The rotors were rusted so bad the brakes would not bite, I would coast to a stop. Went on a ride with some friends and after a few mud holes I could stop on a dime.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi Door.

The rust is not a issue, routine operation will normally clean any rust from the rotors in a short period of time.

However, the rotor you have pictured look to have a lot of groves cut in it. I'd say you probably have a 20% loss in brake contact and efficiency. This will also increase brake pad wear.

A new rotor is about $30.00 they also have a superseded part number which mean something has been changed about the rotor.

Factory brake pads are $40.00 a set and the rotor are $30.00 so the rotor are less expensive than the Pads :) and with new rotor your pads should last longer.

Also when you reassemble make sure to use RED loctite. The heat in the brake system is hot enough to release the blue loctite.

·
Administrator
40,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks it just the camera they are smooth. They are going to be a gift to a friend so I just wanted them to look good.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks it just the camera they are smooth. They are going to be a gift to a friend so I just wanted them to look good.
Ohhh I see now. Make them puuuurty haha. Cut out plastic ones for a gag gift :) Tell him Ford made them and there special edition lol

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
You're giving him used rotors? :Bangin::rofl:

·
Administrator
40,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're giving him used rotors? :Bangin::rofl:
And calipers and etc... ALL USED. Lol
He has no money and is down on his luck so I'm doing what I can to help him out.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
And calipers and etc... ALL USED. Lol
He has no money and is down on his luck so I'm doing what I can to help him out.
Well that's nice of you then. Rockerdude

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.