Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 t-cat I was riding it sunday it was running great then all of the sudden it started spitting and sputtering and then died it fired back up and would barely idle and as soon as you give it gas it dies. I took it in the garage put a redi heater on it and got fuel going thru it good, replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the carbs still same problems it will fire barely idle and when you give it gas it dies sometimes it backfires when your cranking on it. Anybody have any ideas what might be causing this?
It has real good blue spark when cranking on it and lots of gas coming out of the fuel pumps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
TPS or Kill switch???? dont know specifics of your sled. did you do the compression check??? fuel filter???

CDI box or something? plugs look uniform in color?

plug wired get switched by a friend? actually had someone do that once on my triple polaris.........

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snowolf @ Jan 30 2007, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
TPS or Kill switch???? dont know specifics of your sled. did you do the compression check??? fuel filter???

CDI box or something? plugs look uniform in color?

plug wired get switched by a friend? actually had someone do that once on my triple polaris.........[/b]
Do compression test first. Should be 120+ psi each. If compression is good look for fuel or electrical. If one cylinder is low then you got internal issues. It's OK to swap the spark plug wires on a Cat triple. All three plugs fire at the same time. CDI is not an issue, either it works or it doesn't. Check and make sure you have a good ground from engine to chassis. If bad gas is ruled out, Unplug the main harness from the Stator ( two yellow and two black wires). Jump the two wires that are not yellow. Make it so it is easy to unplug, cause all kill switches and safety switches are deactivated. Pulling the jumper is only way to shot off. If engine runs good you have issues with the throttle safety switches at carbs or the throttle lever and you just ruled out stator problems. Hook up harness at stator and unplug each wire going to each carb. Jump all three connectors on the harness side. Fire again, if it runs good than carbs switches need adjustment. If it runs bad then off to the throttle lever. Many times when it is the throttle lever it is the small seals on the pin that holds the lever on(#8 in photo). When these wear out the pin moves too easy and sets off the safety prematurely. Hope that helps.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts