Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 400 4x4 Automatic TRV PLUS. It has the stock rubber, Front 25x8-12 &
Rear 25x10-12. Two questions.

1. Will I hurt my performance by changing to 26" from 25"?

2. How wide a tire can I put on these rims. Example: Put a 10" tire on an 8" rim OR put a 12" tire on a 10" rim.

What I am probably looking at getting are stock sizes in ITP Mudlite XL's. That is unless someone can suggest something better. Right now I am hoping to improve my snow traction.

Thanks in advance! Ted.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Unless you ride in mud 85 % of the time dont waste your money, they dig alot in the snow and you can get stuck pretty quick...great mud tire..not so good trail tire..IMO

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I have 26's on my stock rims, I put 12's on the back and 9's on the front with no problem. I mounted up a set of 26" mudbugs for a friend he had 12's in the rear and 10's in the front, he had itp wheels, they were 7" wide

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
just want to add that if you have independent suspension front & rear then you should go w/the same size tire all the way around. wider rear sizes are for straight rear axles. of course, it's your bike, so i won't knock you or anyone else for doing what you or they choose. i just thought i'd bring that up to help. i personally ride the ml xl's. i love them. to each his own but from my own experience i think they are a great all around tire. mud & trail. snow though, that's another story. it doesn't snow here in la so i can't help you there. i did read though that people were mounting there mudlites opposite the the intended direction for better traction in snow. how well it works though i again can't say. it's your bike so try your ideas on it. maybe something you do outside the box might help someone else out. later.

·
Registered
197 Posts
got 25x8x12 mudlite xl's in the front and 25x12x12 mudlite xl's in the rear of our 400, and i have to say that they are a great trail tire, and i ride very aggressively in some pretty rough terrain and they did really well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
"wider rear sizes are for straight rear axles". Learn something new everyday! I thought it was because they look totally awesome with wide tires on the rear. My 07 500m came with 25-8-12 front and 25-10-12 rear tires. Upgraded to 26-9-12 and 26-11-12 XTRs and they work...great. Haven't had them in the snow yet, but work good in every other riding condition I've encountered. I'd stick with stock size in a light weight 6 ply tire that has a good reputation for snow performance. JMHO.

·
Registered
978 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
wider rear sizes are for straight rear axles[/b]
WHAT???????

Wider rear tires add traction and floatation. What does that have to do with IRS? You put narrower tires on the front for handling on trails because wider tires tend to push in the corners.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scrat600 @ Jan 30 2008, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
wider rear sizes are for straight rear axles[/b]
WHAT???????

Wider rear tires add traction and floatation. What does that have to do with IRS? You put narrower tires on the front for handling on trails because wider tires tend to push in the corners.
[/b][/quote]

not to mention my 700 FIS came with 10 inch wide tires on the rear and 8 inch wide tires in the front

·
Registered
405 Posts
And most full size cats come with 8" rear wheels, and 7 fronts. I would think you would get ZERO rim protection putting an 8" wide tire on an 8" wide wheel.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
You could look at the Outlaw MSTs =Mud/Snow/Trails for what you want, i my self would get 25/8/12s and 25/12/12s never heard about the skinny tire all around thing before..? but i do like the wider tires on back myself they push/pull and float alot better skiny ones will cut threw and dig more...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yep. MSTs rock! I did the same thing but in 26" size.

Robb

·
Registered
966 Posts
I would do the same size f/r if I was going to do a rotate and balance every 5k miles, but that's on my truck. Most folks who do that strickly ride trails and don't need the push/pull/dig that GWC mentioned. I also did not know that the wide rears were for straight axles.....why can't they do same size front rears or is that against the rules, too?

Plus, I prefer a little more cushion in the rear, if you know what I mean.... :wub:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I think you'd have problems rotating your wheels, the rear rims are wider, I think if you put them up front you'll have problems with the rims rubbing your steering and suspension parts, I guess you'll have to take the tires off the rims to do a rotation

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
run skinnies all the way around if yall want. i don't. i have the itp C-Series Type 7 LTD's w/mudlite 28/12/12's all the way around. do any of you think that a couple of inches of added width in the front is gonna make that much of a noticeable difference when it comes to cutting threw and digging more? doubt it. i tried it & ran it for a lil while. true skinnies do root better but w/the weight of our bikes i doubt that's an issue.i know stock, all quads come w/skinnies in the front & wides in the back. I personally like a balanced looking machine. it's not a dragster so no need to have fatter in the back IMO. i run serious mud & can pull better than anyone i ride with. as for better flotation what do you think i get by having all 4 corners at 12" wide? i run my tires at 10psi. i know some that run at 20psi. also, back to pulling, if the idea is to grab better, how good do you think i grab?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
700EFIguy, stock AC wheels have different backspacing, but most aftermarkets like Dreggsta and myself with Type 7's have the same backspacing front and rear, so you would be able to rotate them out if you like. I tried putting my 27x12 Ex's on the front of my H1, but the side lugs hit the shock at full lock, so I decided to do the skinny/fat setup. No issues.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you plan to rotate, You would also have to consider most of these tires are uni-directional.

I have 26" Executioners on my 400 and I love them. I hardly notice the difference in power.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW! Thanks for all the great input. Mudlites were my first choice........

But now after I looked at the Outlaw MST's, I think I've changed my mind. I'll probably go with the stock height of 25". But I'll up the width by an inch. 9's up front, and 11's in the rear. Up at our deer camp the trails have alot of rock, and the extra inch on the side may help protect the rim and more importantly the bead seal. The 400 does everything I need it to do. I don't wanrt to loose holeshot by going to 26's.

But once again, I'm new to this sport. What do I know.

Ted

1 - 19 of 19 Posts