Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to trade snowmobiles this year. Going from a 2017 ZR 8000 ES 129" to a 2021 RR or ZR Limited. I would like to purchase a RR but am worried the suspension will be too stiff...have heard from a few "shock shops" that they are sprung quite a bit heavier. Can anyone attest to this being true or false?

·
Super Moderator
8,314 Posts
I have been running rr since they came out. If you have to ask the question and what you are coming from get the limited

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve had sno pros in the past. Only reason for the 17 es model was it had to happen mid season due to warranty issues and that was all the dealer had left for 800s. Seem to have an issue bottoming out the front skid shock on this 2017....

·
Super Moderator
8,828 Posts
Tough decision. I'm in the same boat.
I've had a '17 and '19 RR with the 137" skid.
Spent quite a bit of time on a '17 LE with 129" skid. Also riding on '18 & '20 LE sleds with 137" skid this season.
I would be hard pressed to call the RR sleds stiff. They have been toned down quite a bit. The rear skid spring is identical to the LE over the past few years. Can't say with the 2021 sleds.
The RR uses a dual rate spring in that front skid shock. I ended up going to a heavier initial rate spring in that shock. It was slamming through the first stage and hitting the main spring too early.
The 137" skid bottoms the front arm a little later than the 129" skids. The new 2020+ geometry seems to bottom even less quickly.
The RR is a little stiffer in stutters for light riders. My weight comes in on the light end. I have detuned the RR shocks for stutters. The LE isn't my choice for big hits. The springs work ok for my weight. The valving flies through the stroke a little quick with big hits. It is slightly better on the stutters.
I'd say to pick the sled you want and tune the ride. They are pretty close.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I purchased the 2021 ZR8000RR in January. Rode it numerous times in NH at the SnoFest. Ski shocks were on the #2 setting. To tell you the truth it rode like my 2012 F800 and I could not feel a huge difference. Love the sled and the demo just made me that much more excited to get this fall.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
I purchased the 2021 ZR8000RR in January. Rode it numerous times in NH at the SnoFest. Ski shocks were on the #2 setting. To tell you the truth it rode like my 2012 F800 and I could not feel a huge difference.
Those RR demo sleds at the demo rides are generally not calibrated the same as the one you will take delivery on. I'm 300 lbs., so I prefer a firm ride. Other folks that I have been with hated the RR calibration. Not because it sucks, but because they don't take the time to calibrate it to their riding style. If you want a sled you can just get on and ride, then the RR is not for you. It takes some time and trial and error to set them up the way you want them. If you like to tinker, or are willing to work with a shock shop, then the RR is fine.

I'm getting older, and less apt to tinker, so I now ride Limiteds and sold my RR's.

Reactions: 2002ZR800CCE

·
Registered
622 Posts
Been "tinkering" with Cat for 40 years now. I know I will get her setup the way I want. If I need to get it re-valved HyGear Suspension is an amazing company and I know they can get it done. Thanks for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts