Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody give me some input, I'm snow checking a new sled but I'm on the fence between a rr or a riot.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Can anybody give me some input, I'm snow checking a new sled but I'm on the fence between a rr or a riot.
My advice is to stay away from the 800cc series engine’s. If you’re going to be trail riding...no need for a Riot. No mention of what type of riding you’ll be doing? Off trail most of the time, go with the Riot X. You had better hurry down to your friendly Arctic Cat dealership before the end of April! Snowmaggendon is almost done dude! Cutting it kind of short dude, I placed my order in mid March for a ‘22 Zr 600RR so I’m guaranteed I will get one, late orders may not filled! I really dig the 2 year factory extended warranty with early spring orders and discounted prices on all 2022 Arctic Cat kites. Yes...kites, like flying in the wind dude! 🪁

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My advice is to stay away from the 800cc series engine’s. If you’re going to be trail riding...no need for a Riot. No mention of what type of riding you’ll be doing? Off trail most of the time, go with the Riot X. You had better hurry down to your friendly Arctic Cat dealership before the end of April! Snowmaggendon is almost done dude! Cutting it kind of short dude, I placed my order in mid March for a ‘22 Zr 600RR so I’m guaranteed I will get one, late orders may not filled! I really dig the 2 year factory extended warranty with early spring orders and discounted prices on all 2022 Arctic Cat kites. Yes...kites, like flying in the wind dude! 🪁
Thanks for the response, I do mostly trail riding but everyone says the rr is really stiff.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Riot is awesome on or off trail.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
+1 on the RR for trail riding, or the ZR Limited.

I like the Limited, because it's a bit cheaper than the RR. However, I don't really know the difference between the two other than shocks. In theory, then, the RR can be set up softer and then you're basically getting a Ltd with better shocks. AC experts - am I thinking right?

I've ridden the RR and Limited, both with the 800 engine. Now that you can get an RR with the 600 engine, it's really tempting. The 800 is very fast in the ZR and the RR can be ridden very aggressively. I would expect the 600 RR to be able to be pushed very hard yet be very forgiving. I got a chance to try the 600 in a 2021 Riot, and thought the engine was very good.

I own a Riot 8000, but do mostly trail riding. I don't think the rear suspension will take the kind of jumps and punishment that the coupled ZR rear is capable of enduring. One other nice thing about the ZR is that with a coupled rear, you get much better front to rear balance on launch. The Riots tend to lift the skis any time you get on the throttle, but they don't wheelie like an Assault. So, it just ends up being kind of an annoyance with no chance to Cat walk like the Assaults can do. That's been my experience on groomed trails, anyway (and I suck at wheelies).

The Riot is actually a good trail sled, but it's not as good as the ZR's. For strictly trail riding, I prefer the ZR's over the Ski Doo MXZ and Polaris Indy AXYS (no experience with the MATRYX). I think the ZR's can corner better than either the AXYS or MXZ, unless you ride it more aggressively than I typically do.

Overall, I've been extremely happy with my Riot, but it was a tough choice between the ZR Limited and Riot and between the 600 and 800 engines.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks for the videos, watched them before on You Tube; last video was cool...dude didn’t know if he was riding a 800 or 600... kind of proves the 600 is still a contender in the horsepower race! Put my order in early March for a ‘22 Zr 600RR plenty of power for trail riding...won’t have to stop for fuel as often as my ‘19 Zr 800 Ltd... insurance goes down $240 per year as well. 🤑

·
Super Moderator
9,126 Posts
I ride RR and Limited sleds. I wish I could give a better comparison to the Riot sleds. (I assume you are talking about the regular Riot, not the X). It would be a whole world of difference going to the X version. There are still plenty of variables with the regular Riot. Track options, and the uncoupled skid are the big two. Seating and other misc options like skis are really about rider preference.

I can give a little input on the RR.
The RR is not what I would call rough. The newer versions with the QS3 coated shocks are smooth compared to the older versions. It is actually more prone to shock travel with lighter compression settings vs. the Limited. The easier shock travel also highlights changes in the QS3 clickers. You will notice more difference when you crank up the clickers because the coated shock travels through the stroke easier. The RR is surprisingly smooth on soft settings with smaller stutters. It will also bottom easier which is somewhat of a downfall. The RR would see a big benefit from switch on the fly compression settings. I like the lighter settings for smoother trails, but the clickers need a crank for the bigger junk. I also swap in a heavier initial rate spring on the skid front shock. The light stock spring tended to bottom easily which gave the shock less usable travel.
A couple of things that I like on the RR vs Limited don't get mentioned often. The brake rotor and reinforced running boards. The RR brakes have less fade if you pound hard. They also eat up the pads a little quicker. It's quirky, but I also like the vented rotor to do quick driveshaft bearing inspections. I just look through the vent holes. The reinforced running boards feel better without as much flexing. It gives more rider input. I also have not bent those yet. I have bent regular boards. There is no easy fix for that when it happens. The also get more flexible once they are bent.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I ride RR and Limited sleds. I wish I could give a better comparison to the Riot sleds. (I assume you are talking about the regular Riot, not the X). It would be a whole world of difference going to the X version. There are still plenty of variables with the regular Riot. Track options, and the uncoupled skid are the big two. Seating and other misc options like skis are really about rider preference.

I can give a little input on the RR.
The RR is not what I would call rough. The newer versions with the QS3 coated shocks are smooth compared to the older versions. It is actually more prone to shock travel with lighter compression settings vs. the Limited. The easier shock travel also highlights changes in the QS3 clickers. You will notice more difference when you crank up the clickers because the coated shock travels through the stroke easier. The RR is surprisingly smooth on soft settings with smaller stutters. It will also bottom easier which is somewhat of a downfall. The RR would see a big benefit from switch on the fly compression settings. I like the lighter settings for smoother trails, but the clickers need a crank for the bigger junk. I also swap in a heavier initial rate spring on the skid front shock. The light stock spring tended to bottom easily which gave the shock less usable travel.
A couple of things that I like on the RR vs Limited don't get mentioned often. The brake rotor and reinforced running boards. The RR brakes have less fade if you pound hard. They also eat up the pads a little quicker. It's quirky, but I also like the vented rotor to do quick driveshaft bearing inspections. I just look through the vent holes. The reinforced running boards feel better without as much flexing. It gives more rider input. I also have not bent those yet. I have bent regular boards. There is no easy fix for that when it happens. The also get more flexible once they are bent.
Thanks favoritos, I didn’t know about the brake rotor, something my dealership or A/C didn’t mention when I put in a spring order. Would you recommend installing a driveshaft saver on my ‘ 22 Zr 600RR? The one available from Precision seems like a more refined unit than the one available from Barn of Parts. 🤔

·
Super Moderator
9,126 Posts
That is a good question about the driveshaft saver. I had not seen the unit made by Precision, so I did some checking. I do like the collar for controlled depth and ease of installation.

I wish I knew why some sleds have problems and don't. It is hard to give any recommendation. I've gone through ten Procross 800 sleds without that problem. Mileage has varied between 3,000 and 8,000 miles. I have not used any type of driveshaft modifications. I had the seal fail on that bearing with one machine. Never had the driveshaft issue?

·
Registered
527 Posts
That is a good question about the driveshaft saver. I had not seen the unit made by Precision, so I did some checking. I do like the collar for controlled depth and ease of installation.

I wish I knew why some sleds have problems and don't. It is hard to give any recommendation. I've gone through ten Procross 800 sleds without that problem. Mileage has varied between 3,000 and 8,000 miles. I have not used any type of driveshaft modifications. I had the seal fail on that bearing with one machine. Never had the driveshaft issue?
Taking a shot at why some people have drive shaft problems, full throttle takeoff’s from a dead stop; landing from a large jump without throttle being applied then mashing the throttle hard; creating a synwave in the track which is transferred to the drivetrain. The cost of the drive shaft saver is not that great, going to install one as scence of security. Precision’s unit is a much more refined drive shaft saver than Barn of Parts. I don’t like to put the Barn down..but it is what it is. Thanks for your reply favoritos!

·
Registered
339 Posts
The Riot shaft is very beefy.... but I don't like the offset middle wheel and the plastic spacers are JUNK..... WORSE is the track tensioning bolts riding on and digging into the axle. I'm very glad I put the 4-wheel kit on mine, big improvement plus the metal spacers for the axle are much more durable, and they have a machined slot for the tensioning bolts so they don't ride the axle anymore.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
View attachment 367874

·
Registered
619 Posts
100% get a riot anyone that tells you to not get one has never rode one. i have a 2020 riot and will never go back to anything with a shorter track for trail riding.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thanks for the response, I do mostly trail riding but everyone says the rr is really stiff.
Unless you only weigh 100 pounds then the RR would be stiff. I have the 2021 and love the ride. Cat has come a long way in taking the stiffness out of the RR.

Reactions: William Stern Jr.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Unless you only weigh 100 pounds then the RR would be stiff. I have the 2021 and love the ride. Cat has come a long way in taking the stiffness out of the RR.
Does the RR have rebound and compression dial on the bottom of the shocks? How many settings are there, if indeed it has it? Saw a photo somewhere with a small adjustment dial that is red anodized on the bottom of the shocks... or am I wrong? If it does tuning for my riding style and what I expect the sled to perform at would be a bonus. Tanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts